This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3883 / 53°23'17"N
Longitude: -1.4259 / 1°25'33"W
OS Eastings: 438278
OS Northings: 388095
OS Grid: SK382880
Mapcode National: GBR 9SH.W5
Mapcode Global: WHDDQ.2388
Plus Code: 9C5W9HQF+8J
Entry Name: Kettlebridge Nursery First School
Listing Date: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246805
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455883
Location: Sheffield, S9
Electoral Ward/Division: Darnall
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Attercliffe and Darnall
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NE OUSEBURN ROAD
784-1/6/563 (North West side)
Kettlebridge Nursery First School
Formerly known as: Hammerton School OUSEBURN ROAD.
Board school, now nursery first school. 1904, with mid C20
additions. By WJ Hale. For the Sheffield School Board. Coursed
squared stone with ashlar dressings and gables and hipped
slate roofs. Arts and Crafts style.
EXTERIOR: coped gables. The heads of the buttresses, and the
central gable, have wreathed cartouches inscribed with
Single and 2 storeys; 7 x 3 windows. Central hall with
clerestory, flanked by towers, and enclosed on all sides by
lower gabled ranges.
Street front has in the centre 3 projecting gables, the
central one with a segment-headed 2-light casement with
elongated keystone, flanked by single flat-headed lights.
Outer gables have large segment-headed 4-light windows with
elongated keystones, and are flanked by square buttresses with
corniced flat caps. Beyond, on either side, set back gable of
the entrance wing, with buttressed gable stack. 2
segment-headed windows with raised surrounds and keystones,
and below, a small round-arched window flanked by 2 small
Above and behind, the central hall has hipped roof with
finials and continuous clerestory windows. At each end of the
hall, a rectangular tower, 2 stages, with a single narrow
opening on the longer sides. Above the cornice, louvred bell
openings, with deep flat ledges above them. 4 square pinnacles
topped with square domes, and swept lead roof with tall
finials. Right tower has a taller external coped stack at the
Right return has entrance block to left. Double entrance bay
to right, with 3 buttresses, and between them, single gabled
dormers with segment-headed casements and elongated keystones.
Below, projecting entrance with bow fronted cornice and
keystone, plain opening and recessed door. To left, corniced
stone bow window with 3 lights divided by squat Doric columns.
To right, a set back gable with segment-headed central window
with keystone, flanked by smaller lights. Left return, of the
same design, has mid C20 wooden canopy linking doorway with
Rear elevation has 2 buttressed gables with segment-headed
4-light windows, flanked by flat-headed tripartite windows
with stone mullions. Buttressed end gables have a
INTERIOR not inspected.
WJ Hale, 1862-1929, designed a number of noteworthy schools
and Nonconformist churches in Sheffield between 1893 and 1929.
This is arguably his best building and one of the least
(Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).
Listing NGR: SK3827888095
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings