This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3908 / 53°23'26"N
Longitude: -1.423 / 1°25'22"W
OS Eastings: 438472
OS Northings: 388374
OS Grid: SK384883
Mapcode National: GBR 9TG.J9
Mapcode Global: WHDDQ.31NC
Plus Code: 9C5W9HRG+8R
Entry Name: Crucible Steel Shop in South Corner of Sandersons Kaysers Darnall Works
Listing Date: 21 May 1987
Last Amended: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247446
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456802
Location: Darnall, Sheffield, S9
Electoral Ward/Division: Darnall
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Attercliffe and Darnall
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NE DARNALL ROAD
784-1/6/240 (South West side)
21/05/87 Crucible steel shop in south corner
of Sanderson Kayser's Darnall Works
(Formerly Listed as:
DARNALL ROAD, Attercliffe
Large melting shop in southern
corner of S K Darnall Works)
Crucible steel making shop. 1871. For Sanderson Brothers.
Brick with stone dressings and Welsh slate roof to north-east
and asbestos cement to south-west. Rebated eaves, coped gables
with inturned kneelers.
EXTERIOR: single storey. 6 internal bays. Round headed
openings with stone sills to unglazed windows.
South east elevation, to yard, has a tall central doorway with
unglazed fanlight, flanked by 2 window and beyond by single
tall doorways. Above, 6 truncated crucible stacks, each with 4
flues. Right gable has 3 windows, the central one larger,
partly boarded up. Below, a tall central doorway flanked by
single smaller windows. Left gable, partly covered by
adjoining crucible shops, has the top of a round-arched
opening. Rear has blocked openings.
INTERIOR has a strutted queen post timber roof with king posts
above the collars. On either side, 6 sets of melting holes
arranged in groups of 4. The stacks are unusual in being set
back from the outside walls, leaving a passage behind them.
Iron brackets on them held shelves for drying and storing
crucibles. Furnace and flues remain in south-west corner.
Crucible cellars are inaccessible.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Darnall Works site was initially
developed in 1835, and this building was added in 1871-2 at a
cost of »6000. It worked for about 50 years, being reopened
during the Second World War before finally closing in 1943. It
was designed on a large scale to allow large articles to be
cast by the continuous teeming method, in spite of the small
amount of steel produced in each crucible. Darnall works was
one of a number of large scale crucible steel works in
Sheffield, but is now the last surviving and is unique in
Britain. Disused at time of survey.
(Darnall Works 1835-1965: Sanderson Kayser Ltd.: 1965-; 400
years of iron and steel: Sanderson Kayser Magazine: 1969-1971;
House of Saben Vol. 1, No 4, 1921 & Vol. 2 No 12, 1927; House
of Saben: 2: Sheffield: 1927-).
Listing NGR: SK3847288374
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings