This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9017 / 51°54'6"N
Longitude: -0.2016 / 0°12'5"W
OS Eastings: 523827
OS Northings: 224098
OS Grid: TL238240
Mapcode National: GBR J7W.PW6
Mapcode Global: VHGP0.GG9J
Plus Code: 9C3XWQ2X+M9
Entry Name: Clock Tower and Surrounding Raised Pool
Listing Date: 22 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246827
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471981
Location: Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Bedwell
Built-Up Area: Stevenage
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Stevenage St Andrew and St George
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL2324 Town Square
733/3/10009 Clock Tower and
surrounding raised pool
Clock Tower and campanile 19m (60ft) high, 1957-59, Architect Leonard Vincent, Chief Architect to Stevenage Development Corporation. Four levels above ground, reinforced concrete frame, with flat roof, with black Brazilian granite cladding. Open framework with recessed infill panels at first and third (clock chamber) levels. On south face, between first and second levels, a recessed panel clad in green Westmorland slate records the visit of H M Queen Elizabeth II on 20 April 1959, to open the first phase of the town centre and to name Queensway. On the east face is a map in painted ceramic tiles showing Stevenage, and the principal occupations of its residents. On the north face a recessed green Westmorland slate panel commemorates the work of the Stevenage Development Corporation, 1946-1980. On the west face, set in front of white tiled cladding, there is a bronze relief portrait of Lewis Silkin, who as Minister of Town and Country Planning approved the designation of Stevenage as the first New Town in November 1946. The second level is open with steel mast and rung ladder to clock chamber. Soffit below clock chamber covered with patterned tiles. Third level closed in as clock chamber, with clock faces on north, west and south sides in white perspex panel, with grey and red perspex panels in bronze framing, and square windows, originally with louvres. Fourth level open, with lightwight steel railing, flagpole on east side, and patterned tiled soffit to roof. The tower stands at the east side of a shallow rectangular pool with raised sides, clad in black Brazilian granite. The pool has recently been modified to include a raised inner pool with a fountain. The Clock Tower and campanile, with its constructivist abstract style represents a monument both to Stevenage as the first New Town and to the New Towns Programme as a whole. The Town Square lies at the heart of the first extensive pedestrian-only New Town centre in Britain, the layout of which was modelled on the Lijnbaan, Rotterdam.
Listing NGR: TL2382724098
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings