This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4324 / 51°25'56"N
Longitude: -0.0164 / 0°0'59"W
OS Eastings: 537982
OS Northings: 172240
OS Grid: TQ379722
Mapcode National: GBR L4.DK3
Mapcode Global: VHGRF.N8P8
Plus Code: 9C3XCXJM+WC
Entry Name: 66-77, Bromley Road
Listing Date: 22 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246886
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471968
Location: Whitefoot, Lewisham, London, SE6
Electoral Ward/Division: Whitefoot
Built-Up Area: Lewisham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Catford (Southend) and Downham
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 3772 LEWISHAM BROMLEY ROAD
(North East side)
Block of twelve flats. 1949-50 by Fry, Drew and Partners, job architect J B Shaw, for Lewisham Metropolitan Borough. Ove Arup and Partners engineers. Solid brick wall construction of sand-lime bricks, with concrete floor slabs. Flat roofs with flat, projecting eaves. Two and three-bedroom flats, with ground floor stores and refuse room at the foot of each of the two staircases. Three storeys. The block is a symmetrical composition set side-on to the busy Bromley Road to reduce traffic noise. The upper flats with projecting concrete balcony with metal balustrade. Steel windows with opening casements set within concrete sills and lintels, an important original feature. The return windows at ends of block similar, but set in continuous moulded surrounds.
INTERIORS: retain some picture rails and many original doors.
HISTORY: Maxwell Fry was one of the pioneer designers of low-cost flats in the 1930s. This is the most important public housing development produced by Fry's practice in the post-war period. This is a rich and complex development, the blocks carefully sited to give a maximum of open space, light and sunshine whilst reducing traffic noise. The scheme won a Festival of Britain Merit Award in 1951. Nikolaus Pevsner considered that its 'greater diversity of small motifs' was its great departure from Fry's pre-war work and that it was 'one of the most interesting recent groups of flats in London'. The four blocks form a harmonious group, enhanced by their excellent state of preservation and landscaping.
Listing NGR: TQ3798272240
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings