This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.369 / 53°22'8"N
Longitude: -1.5009 / 1°30'3"W
OS Eastings: 433307
OS Northings: 385912
OS Grid: SK333859
Mapcode National: GBR 98Q.P3
Mapcode Global: WHCCJ.XLG2
Plus Code: 9C5W9F9X+JJ
Entry Name: Church of St Augustine
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246924
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456011
Location: Sheffield, S11
Electoral Ward/Division: Broomhill and Sharrow Vale
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Endcliffe St Augustine
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK3385NW BROCCO BANK
784-1/35/104 (East side)
28/06/73 Church of St Augustine
Parish church. 1897, with mid and late C20 additions and
alterations. By JD Webster. Coursed squared stone with ashlar
dressings and plain tile roof. Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: incomplete chancel and transepts, nave with clerestory
and narrow aisles, north-west tower with spirelet, late C20
EXTERIOR: plinth, string course, buttresses, coped parapets
and coped gables with crosses.
Single bay chancel has a 5-light pointed arched window to
east. South side has a pointed doorway. North side has a
lancet and projecting organ chamber. Transepts have doorways
in their east sides and 2 small lancets to north and south,
with stained glass c1917.
5 bay nave has single lancets to the clerestory. West gable
has a graduated triple window with a central 3-light pointed
arched window with cinquefoil, flanked by single lancets. All
have moulded surrounds and hoodmoulds, with the intermediate
mullions carried upwards as pilasters. South aisle has 6
windows and a single lancet in the west end. North aisle has 4
windows. Late C20 south porch has glazed double doors to the
body of the church and to the parish room.
Square north-west tower, 3 stages, has gabled angle buttresses
which become octagonal turrets at the top of the third stage
and are topped with pinnacles. Plinth and string courses,
pierced parapet. First stage has, to west, a canted stair
turret and a single lancet. Second stage has a clock on 3
sides, under a label mould. Bell stage has a large pointed
opening on each side containing a graduated triple lancet bell
opening. Setback octagonal spirelet.
INTERIOR: the 3 western bays of the nave are separated by a
concrete block wall with C20 doors, to form a parish room.
Chancel has a double chamfered arch with hoodmould and
clustered shaft imposts, sillband and linked hoodmoulds all
round, and arch braced wagon roof with wall shafts on corbels.
North side has organ arch and single window, south side a
doorway. East end has stained glass window, 1897. Transepts
have arches formed as a continuation of the nave arcades. Nave
has 5 bay arcades with plain octagonal piers without capitals,
and chamfered and moulded arches. Arch braced wagon roof with
ringed wall shafts. Narrow aisles have half-arches at each
pier, and early C20 stained glass windows.
FITTINGS include octagonal stone font with bracketed wooden
cover, 1918, brass tripod lectern, octagonal oak skeleton
pulpit, Decorated style wooden reredos, and Perpendicular
style war memorial screen, 1919, resited at the west end.
Listing NGR: SK3330785912
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings