This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3652 / 53°21'54"N
Longitude: -1.5424 / 1°32'32"W
OS Eastings: 430548
OS Northings: 385466
OS Grid: SK305854
Mapcode National: GBR KYNJ.WD
Mapcode Global: WHCCJ.8PS1
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246925
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456014
Location: Sheffield, S10
Electoral Ward/Division: Fulwood
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Fulwood Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NW BROOKHOUSE HILL
784-1/5/107 (North side)
28/06/73 Christ Church
Formerly known as: Christ Church FULWOOD ROAD.
Parish church. 1837-39. By R Potter. Chancel and south aisle
1953-56, north aisle c1963 and west end stair turrets c1980,
by GG Pace. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and hipped
and gabled slate roofs.
PLAN: chancel, crossing tower, vestry, nave, north and south
aisles, west tower and staircase towers, west porches.
EXTERIOR: flat-roofed chancel has blank east end with central
buttress. To north a single window and to its right, an
external stack linked by an arch. Short crossing tower has a
4-light mullioned window to north and south.
Nave has crenellated parapet to north, and clasping buttress
to north west. Flat roofed south aisle has five 3-light
windows. East end has a 5-light transomed window, and west end
has a reset cusped round window.
2 storey flat-roofed north aisle has four 4-light mullioned
windows running its full height, and divided by thin
buttresses and a transom. Lower lights have round heads. East
end has a glazed double door to the adjoining vestry. Vestry
has a 4-light window to north. West end has a single ground
C19 square west tower, 3 stages, has plinth, string courses,
crenellated parapet and clasping buttresses topped with
pinnacles. Ground stage has a single lancet to west. Second
stage has a single lancet on 3 sides. All these windows have
hoodmoulds. Bell stage has a double lancet louvred opening on
each side, with linked hoodmoulds. To north and south, single
C20 canted stair towers with hipped roofs. Canted corners have
quoins and full height strip windows with transoms. North
tower has to east a single cross casement in the link to the
aisle. Canted single storey north-west porch has to north a
double door with shallow canopy, flanked to right by a 2-light
window. South-west porch of similar design.
INTERIOR: retains original nave roof and supports to gallery,
most of the remainder being C20 work. Chancel has pointed arch
flanked by similar smaller arches to the side chapels. North
and south sides have similar arches. Canted east end. Nave has
arch braced truss roof, panelled organ gallery to west,
carried on 4 cast-iron posts. Under the gallery, 3 double
doors. North aisle has 3 square skeleton piers carrying a
wooden gallery. Single door to west, glazed screen to east.
South aisle has 4 pointed arches carried on square skeleton
piers. To west, a double door with a reused round window above
it. Tower and entrance lobbies have concrete stairs and wooden
FITTINGS include resited canted wooden pulpit on ashlar base
and traceried panelled font, both C19. Font has C20 cover.
Brass eagle lectern on tripod, dated 1898. Other fittings mid
C20. In the west tower, stained glass window, 1922, by A
Jeffert of Sheffield, and late C20 window.
This church is a major example of the work of GG Pace,
sometime Diocesan architect.
Listing NGR: SK3054885466
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings