This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5783 / 51°34'41"N
Longitude: -0.1219 / 0°7'18"W
OS Eastings: 530235
OS Northings: 188274
OS Grid: TQ302882
Mapcode National: GBR FN.9XQ
Mapcode Global: VHGQL.TLXF
Plus Code: 9C3XHVHH+86
Entry Name: Hornsey Library
Listing Date: 23 March 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246935
English Heritage Legacy ID: 486900
Location: Haringey, London, N8
Electoral Ward/Division: Crouch End
Built-Up Area: Haringey
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Christ Church Crouch End
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3088 HARINGEY PARK
800/33/10067 (North side)
23-MAR-01 Hornsey Library
Public library. 1963-5 by F Ley and G F S Jarvis of Hornsey MB, with A J Fowler, former Principal Assistant Architect, under G A Pentecost, Borough Engineer and Surveyor. W V Zinn and Associates, structural engineers. Reinforced concrete with large panel pre-cast concrete cladding and brick facings. White cement and Derby spa aggregate in the panels, which have a raised pattern. Flat roofs, save over exhibition hall which has 'V'-shaped roof incorporating clerestory. Two storeys and basement.
Central entrance hall, with adult lending library to left, of double-height with gallery. To right is a central courtyard, with former periodical and information room, now children's library to front, and former children's library with its own entrance beyond. Offices to rear. Above is the main reference and reading room, and exhibition cum lecture hall served by foyer and coffee bar. A room beyond serves as a seating store. Large basement stack rooms, with corner room for children's `story-hours' reached via its own staircase. Travelling library dock at side of building.
Exterior. Aluminium double-glazed windows and columns clad with polished granite. Double glass doors in aluminium surrounds at entrance under large porch formed by the curved wall of the projecting reference library above. This dominating element is without windows, and faced in brick, with clerestory glazing in panelled side walls. The ground floor has continuous glazing to either side. High vertical windows facing street to main lending library. The central courtyard is filled with curtain-walled glazing in the aluminium frames. By the entrance is a large plaque recording the opening of the library on 7 March 1965 by the Princess Alexandra. To the right of the entrance is a mosaic panel. Adjoining the west wall is a bronze sculpture of an attenuated set in a pool with a curtain of water jets. The sculptor was T E Huxley-Jones, who also devised the curved curtain wall behind, inset with bronzes depicting a plan of the borough and the medieval tower of Hornsey church.
Interior. Floors are of vinyl tiles. Treads to staircases in the entrance hall and adult lending library are pre-cast terrazzo. Doors and frames are of utile, and original shelving survives of blockboard faced with plastic laminates and supported by "Vizusell " fittings. These survive particularly well in the reference library, with red vertical ends, black strip fronts and grey and green back walls. Staggered 'V' shaped lines of fixed desks. Staircases have glass and aluminium balustrades with black handrails, and the main staircase hall retains original pendant globes and black conoid wall lights. Adjoining the head of the main staircase, and overlooking the garden court, is an engraved depicting Hornsey past and present, from the church tower of 1500 to the new library and designed by Frederick J Mitchell ARCA. Courtyard has pool and long, fixed concrete bench. Meeting room foyer has timber coffee bar. Timber ends incorporating concealed doors to meeting and exhibition room, which can be partitioned into two if required. Chief Librarian's office retains pendant light.
The library was designed with wit and vivacity, to impart a sense of energy and modernity to reading and cultural events. It was conceived on a grand scale, designed to impart a sense of spaciousness at even the busiest times. Built to replace a library of 1899 which could not hold100,000 books, it was the last building to be erected by Hornsey MB before it was incorporated into LB Haringey in April 1965. As a civic gesture in the centre of a large residential area it is particularly successful, its artworks commemorating the borough through four hundred years. It was a building that appealed to critics from the library profession. `This is not a library from which much new will be learned by students looking for gimmicks. What they will learn, though, .. Is how good a working library will emerge when there is close co-operation at all stages between a librarian who believes that his job is to get books to readers, and an architect who can appreciate the complexities of that simple sounding demand' (Library Association Record, April 1965, p.120).
Library Association Record, April 1965, pp.117-121
W B Stevenson, `Hornsey Goes Long and Low' in Library World, 1 December 1965, pp.5215-17
Booklet issued to participants in official opening ceremony, 5 March 1965
S G Berriman and K C Harrison, British Public Library Buildings, London, Andre Deutsch, 1966
Hornsey Journal, 23 March 2000
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings