This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5787 / 51°34'43"N
Longitude: -0.1223 / 0°7'20"W
OS Eastings: 530204
OS Northings: 188316
OS Grid: TQ302883
Mapcode National: GBR FN.9T9
Mapcode Global: VHGQL.TLP4
Entry Name: Hornsey Town Hall
Listing Date: 16 January 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263688
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201523
Location: Haringey, London, N8
Electoral Ward/Division: Crouch End
Built-Up Area: Haringey
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Christ Church Crouch End
Church of England Diocese: London
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 03/10/2012
Hornsey Town Hall
1935 by R H Uren. Forms, centrepiece of composition around small green,
flanked by Gas Board and Electricity Board showroom. Hand made brick of
pinkish colour with stone dressings; flat roofs, stone coped parapets.
Modern style combined with display of craftsmanship. Two storeys. L-
shaped front with 7 bays facing courtyard, 6 narrower bays on right inner
return with a set back attic floor (perhaps later); tall rectangular tower
at junction. Main block has long first floor windows with bronze bars and
guards and bronze balcony to 3 central windows. Below, a wide triple
entrance with rusticated brickwork is flanked by plain windows. Tower has
large door with carved stone surround below a copper-grilled window with
bronze hood. Blank walls, with raised brick strips, rise to top stage
where stone hoods crown 5 and 4 slit windows. At North end projects a
bowed, cantilevered first floor. Rear: round-cornered canopies to
entrances flanking the stair tower which has curved full-height window with
glazing bars; oversailing flat roof.
Interior decoration and furnishing all designed as part of the original
conception and much is still preserved including: floor surfaces; wall
cladding; columns; doors, light-fittings; imperial main stair. with
decorative openwork metal balustrade; and inlaid wood-panelled walls (with
clocks), cupboards, and bookcases to' Borough Engineer's Office, Room 108,
former Mayor's Parlour and Committee Room. Council Chamber retains
original seats and desks (set in half-round). Galleried theatre with
inlaid wood-panelling to walls.
R H Uren.was a RIBA Architecture Medal winner and winner of the Gold Medal
of the Worshipful Company of Tilers and Brickmakers. This was the first
town hall in Britain to be modelled on Dudock's seminal town hall at
Hilversum, and was an important influence on others built subsequently.
Listing NGR: TQ3020488316
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings