History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Trinity

A Grade II* Listed Building in Fallowfield, Manchester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4501 / 53°27'0"N

Longitude: -2.2254 / 2°13'31"W

OS Eastings: 385124

OS Northings: 394842

OS Grid: SJ851948

Mapcode National: GBR DNV.S6

Mapcode Global: WHB9N.SJGX

Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 18 December 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246948

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456035

Location: Manchester, M14

County: Manchester

Electoral Ward/Division: Fallowfield

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Rusholme Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Heaton Chapel

Listing Text


MANCHESTER

SJ89SE PLATT LANE, Fallowfield
698-1/9/688 (South side)
18/12/63 Church of Holy Trinity

GV II*

Church. 1845-6, by Edmund Sharpe. Yellow, buff and brown
terracotta in imitation of stone (including mason's tooling
marks); slate roof. Decorated style. Nave with south-west
steeple, north and south aisles, chancel. The 3-stage tower
has angle buttresses, a cusped south doorway in a 2-centred
arched surround with 2 orders of moulding including set-in
shafts with foliated caps, and a hoodmould with figured stops,
3-light windows to the 2nd stage with crocketed gablets,
paired belfry windows with transoms and diamond-pattern
terracotta grills, an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles
and slender S-shaped flying buttresses to an octagonal drum at
the base of the tall octagonal spire. The 5-bay nave has a
west doorway like that to the tower, a tall traceried 4-light
west window, and pairs of clerestory windows with terracota
tracery and parapets faced with 4-petal tiles; the aisles have
buttresses, 2-light windows with terracotta tracery and
hoodmoulds, and similar tiled parapets; the lower 2-bay
chancel has a parapet with mouchette openwork, and a 5-light
east window with very elaborate mouchette tracery, and is now
surrounded by a C20 flat-roofed addition. Interior: 5-bay
arcades of 2-centred arches on quatrefoil piers of terracotta
with heavily-foliated capitals; scissor-braced roofs to nave
and chancel, with wall-posts rising from foliated corbels.
History: the very unusual terracotta construction was
suggested to Edmund Sharpe by colliery owner John Fletcher
(who used colliery clay to make fire-bricks), for the church
of St Stephen, Lever Bridge, Bolton, built 1842-5.


Listing NGR: SJ8512494842

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


MANCHESTER

SJ89SE PLATT LANE, Fallowfield
698-1/9/688 (South side)
18/12/63 Church of Holy Trinity

GV II*

Church. 1845-6, by Edmund Sharpe. Yellow, buff and brown
terracotta in imitation of stone (including mason's tooling
marks); slate roof. Decorated style. Nave with south-west
steeple, north and south aisles, chancel. The 3-stage tower
has angle buttresses, a cusped south doorway in a 2-centred
arched surround with 2 orders of moulding including set-in
shafts with foliated caps, and a hoodmould with figured stops,
3-light windows to the 2nd stage with crocketed gablets,
paired belfry windows with transoms and diamond-pattern
terracotta grills, an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles
and slender S-shaped flying buttresses to an octagonal drum at
the base of the tall octagonal spire. The 5-bay nave has a
west doorway like that to the tower, a tall traceried 4-light
west window, and pairs of clerestory windows with terracota
tracery and parapets faced with 4-petal tiles; the aisles have
buttresses, 2-light windows with terracotta tracery and
hoodmoulds, and similar tiled parapets; the lower 2-bay
chancel has a parapet with mouchette openwork, and a 5-light
east window with very elaborate mouchette tracery, and is now
surrounded by a C20 flat-roofed addition. Interior: 5-bay
arcades of 2-centred arches on quatrefoil piers of terracotta
with heavily-foliated capitals; scissor-braced roofs to nave
and chancel, with wall-posts rising from foliated corbels.
History: the very unusual terracotta construction was
suggested to Edmund Sharpe by colliery owner John Fletcher
(who used colliery clay to make fire-bricks), for the church
of St Stephen, Lever Bridge, Bolton, built 1842-5.


Listing NGR: SJ8512494842

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.