This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4488 / 53°26'55"N
Longitude: -2.219 / 2°13'8"W
OS Eastings: 385550
OS Northings: 394692
OS Grid: SJ855946
Mapcode National: GBR DQV.5P
Mapcode Global: WHB9N.WKHY
Entry Name: Appleby Lodge
Listing Date: 4 March 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096151
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490116
Location: Manchester, M14
Electoral Ward/Division: Rusholme
Built-Up Area: Manchester
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Birch with Fallowfield
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
698-1/0/11179 WILMSLOW ROAD
04-MAR-03 Appleby Lodge
Flats. 1936-1939 with minor alterations. Gunton and Gunton in association with Peter Cummings F.R.I.B.A. Red brick in English bond with textured finish. Steel-framed windows and balcony doors. Flat roof behind brick parapet. 3-storey flats complex in a 'moderne' style with 3 ranges arranged in a 'U' with perambulatory driveway and courtyard.
EXTERIORS: NORTH RANGE (Flats 1-6, 7-21) rounded end to Wilmslow Road with steel-framed windows in groups of 4, top and side hung lights, with doors onto the 2 curved cantilevered concrete balconies that have steel railings at sides. Facing courtyard, 2 entrances flanked by similar windows in groups of 1, 2 and 3. Advanced enclosed entrance porches under projecting flat roof with glass paired doors flanked by rounded tall lights with over-lights and mosaic tiled plinth. Behind entrance porch, recessed stair towers behind curved brick returns with multi-pane full-height windows to tower. At first and second floors, 2 long cantilevered concrete balconies, 2 similar balconies in recessed bay, and 2 short cantilevered balconies to end bay. Flat, stepped cornice with shallow flat roof over balconies at second floor. Rear elevations are plainer, with similar windows in groups of 2, 3 and 4, some cantilevered balconies, slightly advanced chimneybreasts with wide stacks, and painted flat cornice below parapet.
SOUTH RANGE (Flats 28-42, 22-27) Same as NORTH RANGE above, in reverse.
EAST RANGE (Flats 43-57, 58-72, 73-84, 85-99) in U-shaped configuration. Each side wing with centrally placed entrance detailed as above, flanked by windows in groups of 4, and 2 sets of cantilevered balconies at first and second floors. Corner entrances to both corners with entrance porch detailed as above and on angle, with blank wall above. Return elevations of side wings with 2 single lights to each floor flanked by advanced chimneybreasts with wide stacks. End range (base of 'U') has central section of 5 windows bays, slightly advanced, with continuous cantilevered balconies to first and second floors and shallow flat roof at cornice level. All windows in groups of 4, detailed as above, with doors at balconies. 2 window bays to each side of balcony section. Continuous flat stepped cornice. Rear elevations are plainer, with windows as above, some cantilevered balconies and painted flat cornice below parapet.
INTERIORS: Entrance halls and stairwells finished in Terrazzo marble with built-in Terrazzo planters, steel balusters and brass handrails to stairs. Hardwood doors to flats with original furniture and adjacent cupboards for delivery and waste collection. Many flats retain original plan and fittings such as cast iron radiators, wood fireplaces with marble insets, doors with brass furniture, and fitted cupboards to kitchen and utility areas. Penthouse flats include folding partitions between living and dining room.
SUBSIDIARY: Entrance with pair of low circular-plan brick piers and integral planters attached to low brick boundary wall with concrete coping.
HISTORY: Flats complex completed in 1939 with 100 apartments of 4 kinds: Studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, and 2 bedroom with 2 bathrooms. Built for well-heeled Mancunians, well-known residents have included John Barbarelli, who is honoured in a Manchester Civic Society plaque from 2002. Sunken tennis courts to rear of internal courtyard now garden.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings