This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3797 / 53°22'46"N
Longitude: -1.4732 / 1°28'23"W
OS Eastings: 435137
OS Northings: 387108
OS Grid: SK351871
Mapcode National: GBR 9GL.N8
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.B9PX
Plus Code: 9C5W9GHG+VP
Entry Name: Church of St Matthew
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247046
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456193
Location: Sheffield, S1
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK3587SW CARVER STREET
784-1/24/150 (East side)
28/06/73 Church of St Matthew
Parish church and attached railing. 1854-55. By Flockton &
Son. Chancel 1884, by JD Sedding. Redecorated c1960 by GG
Pace. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and slate
PLAN: chancel and sanctuary, vestry and organ chamber, nave
with clerestory, aisles with lady chapel and baptistry, west
tower with spire.
EXTERIOR: plinth and coped gables. Windows are mainly
segmental pointed arched windows with panel tracery.
Chancel east gable has a 5-light window with hoodmould and
mask stops. Vestry to right has single gable and single side
wall stack and to east, a pointed doorway and an ogee headed
3-light window, both with chamfered flat-headed surrounds.
Outside, a 10m length of spiked railing.
5 bay nave has 5 pairs of 2-light windows on each side of the
clerestory. Aisles have blank sides and at their buttressed
west ends, 4-light windows with chamfered heads and linked
hoodmoulds. South aisle has a similar window to east.
Projecting lower stage of west tower forms the central feature
of the west end. Large canted buttresses flanking a moulded
segmental pointed doorway with a crenellated parapet on which
stands a war memorial Calvary. Above the door, a 4-light
window with hoodmould. Octagonal bell stage has thin angle
buttresses topped with pinnacles, and crenellated parapet.
Plain set back octagonal spire.
INTERIOR: nave and chancel have queen post truss roofs with
wooden wall shafts on corbels. Chancel has double chamfered
arch with angel imposts. South side has chamfered arch into
lady chapel, with wrought-iron screen. C19 stained glass east
window. Sanctuary, in the east bay of the nave, has moulded
alabaster screen wall and wrought-iron gate. Nave has 5 bay
arcades with plain octagonal piers and chamfered arches with
hoodmoulds. Sillband to clerestory. West end has a double
chamfered tower arch with a traceried panelled gallery. Aisles
have plain lean-to roofs and at their west ends, pointed
doorways to the gallery. South aisle has double chamfered
eastern arch with wrought-iron screen and gate into lady
chapel, and at the west end a side door with hoodmould.
Stained glass includes chancel east window 1884, by JD
Sedding. North aisle west window 1902, by Lavers & Westlake.
FITTINGS include octagonal panelled oak pulpit and font with
repousse panels, by HJ Potter, 1903 and 1913. Carved altar and
reredos 1886, by JD Sedding. Elaborately carved stalls.
Entrance screen c1960 by GG Pace.
This church was an important centre of missionary and
charitable activity in central Sheffield in the second half of
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West
Riding: London: 1967-: 452).
Listing NGR: SK3513787108
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings