History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Giants Basin

A Grade II Listed Building in City Centre, Manchester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4756 / 53°28'32"N

Longitude: -2.2579 / 2°15'28"W

OS Eastings: 382980

OS Northings: 397679

OS Grid: SJ829976

Mapcode National: GBR DFK.S3

Mapcode Global: WHB9G.9W2Y

Entry Name: The Giants Basin

Listing Date: 6 June 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247068

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456065

Location: Manchester, M3

County: Manchester

Electoral Ward/Division: City Centre

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Hulme The Ascension

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Salford

Listing Text


MANCHESTER

SJ8297 POTATO WHARF
698-1/18/319 (East side)
The Giant's Basin

GV II

Circular weir. Probably 1765, by James Brindley, for Duke of
Bridgewater, altered in C19. Coursed squared sandstone.
Circular structure approx.10m in diameter, with 2-course
sloped lip. Part of hydraulic system by which the Bridgewater
Canal terminus basin exploited the course of the River
Medlock, which was diverted through a culvert running from
east of Deansgate at Knott Mill to Potato Wharf, and the canal
overflow was returned to the river via this weir. Simple
stucture of national historical importance. Forms group with
canal basin at Potato Wharf (q.v.), and with Castelfield
Railway Viaduct (q.v.), and Culvert arches, New Elm Road
(q.v.); associated with Floodgate, Deansgate (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SJ8298097679

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


MANCHESTER

SJ8297 POTATO WHARF
698-1/18/319 (East side)
The Giant's Basin

GV II

Circular weir. Probably 1765, by James Brindley, for Duke of
Bridgewater, altered in C19. Coursed squared sandstone.
Circular structure approx.10m in diameter, with 2-course
sloped lip. Part of hydraulic system by which the Bridgewater
Canal terminus basin exploited the course of the River
Medlock, which was diverted through a culvert running from
east of Deansgate at Knott Mill to Potato Wharf, and the canal
overflow was returned to the river via this weir. Simple
stucture of national historical importance. Forms group with
canal basin at Potato Wharf (q.v.), and with Castelfield
Railway Viaduct (q.v.), and Culvert arches, New Elm Road
(q.v.); associated with Floodgate, Deansgate (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SJ8298097679

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.