This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9483 / 52°56'53"N
Longitude: -1.1761 / 1°10'33"W
OS Eastings: 455455
OS Northings: 339310
OS Grid: SK554393
Mapcode National: GBR LHR.F7
Mapcode Global: WHDGY.X532
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247151
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455836
Location: Nottingham, NG7
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Dunkirk and Lenton
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Lenton
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK53NE CHURCH STREET, Lenton
646-1/7/793 (South East side)
Church of Holy Trinity
Parish church. 1842. By HI Stevens. Ashlar, with slate and
concrete tile roofs. Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: chancel, vestry, nave with clerestory, aisles, north
porch, west tower.
EXTERIOR: plinth, sill band, coped parapets and gables,
shallow buttresses. Windows are plain lancets with hood
moulds. Chancel, 3 bays, has a graduated 3-light east window,
and 3 windows to south. Vestry, to north, has a single window
to north and east. Clerestory has 5 windows each side, divided
by pilasters. South aisle has 5 paired windows, and single
windows to east and west. North aisle has 4 paired windows,
and single window to west. North porch has coped gable with
angle buttresses, with double chamfered doorway, and a window
each side. Square west tower, 3 stages, has angle buttresses
and coped parapet with pinnacles. Chamfered west door under a
gable, with single windows east and west. Above, a graduated
3-light window, with single windows north and south. Clock
dials above. Bell stage has triple openings each side, with a
clock to east.
INTERIOR: rendered, has moulded chancel arch with single
lancet above. Nave and chancel have arch braced hammer beam
roofs. East end has a floral stained glass window to Francis
Wright, died 1873, and an elaborate tile and mosaic reredos
with figures, c1902. Wooden altar rail with bowed centre.
North side has organ opening, south side a Tudor arched door.
Nave has 4-bay arcades with quatrefoil piers and double
chamfered arches. In the east bay, an ashlar and marble screen
wall and pulpit, 1902, under a Perpendicular style traceried
wooden screen and crest. At the west end, a 2-tier panelled
gallery and screen, with glazed porches and screens below.
North aisle has stained glass windows 1902, 1911 and 1931.
lancet at east end with organ pipes. South aisle has stained
glass windows 1873, 1897, 1914, and at the east end, 1873.
Fittings include the outstandingly rare cubical font, mid C12,
from Lenton Priory, with elaborate figure carving on 3 sides.
Stepped base, 1904. Late C19 stalls and desks, mid C19
benches. Memorials include 6 marble and slate tablets, C19,
and arch-topped bronze tablet, 1917, to Albert Ball.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
Listing NGR: SK5545539310
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings