History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

15, St James' Row

A Grade II Listed Building in City, Sheffield

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3834 / 53°23'0"N

Longitude: -1.4701 / 1°28'12"W

OS Eastings: 435345

OS Northings: 387521

OS Grid: SK353875

Mapcode National: GBR 9HJ.BY

Mapcode Global: WHDDP.D762

Entry Name: 15, St James' Row

Listing Date: 28 June 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247184

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456462

Location: Sheffield, S1

County: Sheffield

Electoral Ward/Division: City

Built-Up Area: Sheffield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Sheffield

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Walkley

Listing Text


SHEFFIELD

SK3587NW ST JAMES' ROW
784-1/19/681 (West side)
28/06/73 No.15

GV II

Girls' charity school, now offices. Dated 1786. Brick with
ashlar dressings and slate roofs with 2 gable stacks.
Plinth, first and second floor bands, moulded eaves. 3
storeys; 5 window range. Windows mainly have brick flat
arches. Slightly projecting centre, 3 windows, has moulded
pediment with semicircular tablet inscribed "This Charity
School for poor girls was built by subscription 1786". 3 plain
sashes in the centre, flanked by single plain sashes. Above,
five 6-pane tilting casements. Below, 3 round arches with
rubbed brick heads and impost band, with central wooden
doorcase with reeded pilasters and blank fanlight, and double
6-panel door. On either side, 2 plain sashes.
INTERIOR not inspected.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West
Riding: London: 1967-: 455).


Listing NGR: SK3534887482

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SHEFFIELD

SK3587NW ST JAMES' ROW
784-1/19/681 (West side)
28/06/73 No.15

GV II

Girls' charity school, now offices. Dated 1786. Brick with
ashlar dressings and slate roofs with 2 gable stacks.
Plinth, first and second floor bands, moulded eaves. 3
storeys; 5 window range. Windows mainly have brick flat
arches. Slightly projecting centre, 3 windows, has moulded
pediment with semicircular tablet inscribed "This Charity
School for poor girls was built by subscription 1786". 3 plain
sashes in the centre, flanked by single plain sashes. Above,
five 6-pane tilting casements. Below, 3 round arches with
rubbed brick heads and impost band, with central wooden
doorcase with reeded pilasters and blank fanlight, and double
6-panel door. On either side, 2 plain sashes.
INTERIOR not inspected.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West
Riding: London: 1967-: 455).


Listing NGR: SK3534887482

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.