This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9573 / 52°57'26"N
Longitude: -1.1571 / 1°9'25"W
OS Eastings: 456720
OS Northings: 340322
OS Grid: SK567403
Mapcode National: GBR LMN.L1
Mapcode Global: WHDGS.6X8R
Entry Name: Clarendon Chambers
Listing Date: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247200
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456498
Location: Nottingham, NG1
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Arboretum
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5640SE CLARENDON STREET
646-1/13/152 (East side)
Formerly known as: Royal Midland Institute for the Blind
Royal Midland Institute for the Blind, now offices and
workshops. Dated 1853. By Aicken & Capes of London. Addition
dated 1905. Rear addition c1899. Restored and converted late
C20. Red brick and ashlar, with ashlar dressings and slate
roofs with crested ridge tiles. Renaissance Revival style.
EXTERIOR: quoins, first floor band, eaves cornice, shaped
coped gables with finials. Windows are mainly casements with
wooden cross mullions. 2 storeys; 7 x 8 windows. L-plan, on
corner site, with an elaborate corner pavilion and symmetrical
facades with minor variations.
Corner pavilion has 2 identical fronts. Ashlar ground floor
with rusticated quoins and 3 round-arched windows with
keystones. Above, a canted oriel window under a shaped gable.
Clarendon Street front has a central block, 3 windows, with a
central gable. On each side, a projecting bay with single
windows. Right bay has a doorway, left bay a ground floor
window, both segment-headed. To left, a projecting end bay
balancing the corner pavilion, with single 3-light windows.
Basement has various windows, some with stone flush mullions.
Addition, to left, has 3 openings on each floor, coped gable
and finial. Ground floor windows are cross mullioned casements
with artificial stone surrounds. Second floor has a larger
round-arched central window with voussoirs.
Chaucer Street front has a central block, 3 windows, with
central gable, flanked by single projecting bays with
segment-headed ground floor windows. To right, a projecting
end bay with single 3-light windows.
Rear addition, 3 and 4 storeys, L-plan, forms the west and
north sides of a courtyard. At the east end, a projecting
corner block, 4 storeys, 3 windows, with shaped gables and
INTERIOR has moulded cornices in ground floor rooms.
(White's Directory of Nottingham: 1864-: 156).
Listing NGR: SK5672040322
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings