History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stanley House

A Grade II Listed Building in Nottingham, Nottingham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9561 / 52°57'21"N

Longitude: -1.1552 / 1°9'18"W

OS Eastings: 456846

OS Northings: 340187

OS Grid: SK568401

Mapcode National: GBR LMN.ZG

Mapcode Global: WHDGS.7Y4P

Plus Code: 9C4WXR4V+CW

Entry Name: Stanley House

Listing Date: 28 November 1979

Last Amended: 30 November 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1270427

English Heritage Legacy ID: 458890

Location: Hyson Green and Arboretum, Nottingham, NG1

County: Nottingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Arboretum

Built-Up Area: Nottingham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Nottingham

Description


NOTTINGHAM

SK5640SE TALBOT STREET
646-1/13/638 (North side)
28/11/79 No.56
Stanley House
(Formerly Listed as:
TALBOT STREET
No.56
Lambert's Factory)

II

Former bleaching, dyeing and finishing works, now offices.
1863. For John and William Lambert, lace dressers. Factory
ranges at the rear demolished 1979. Converted and restored
1991-93. Clock tower rebuilt following collapse. Red brick and
ashlar, with yellow brick and ashlar dressings. Roof not
visible. Renaissance Revival style.
Ashlar basement, string courses, quoins, eaves cornice, coped
parapet with pedestals and urns. Windows are mullioned and
transomed casements, reglazed.
4 storeys plus basement; 5 bays. Balanced street front with
projecting centre and end bays, crowned by large ornamental
features. Basement has an off-centre round-arched door and 10
windows, unequally spaced. Central bays have regular
fenestration, 4:3:4 windows. The centre bay is topped with 3
round-arched niches supported by consoles, under a cornice
with urns.
Right end bay has a round-arched carriage entrance, 2 storeys,
with cast-iron gates. Above, single windows on each floor.
Above the parapet, set at an oblique angle, a square clock
tower, 2 storeys, with paired angle pilasters, cornices and
pierced balustrade with corner pedestals. Clock faces on the
lower stage, sash windows under round arches above.
Left end bay has a basement door and window. Above, a triple
window on each floor. Above the parapet, a belvedere, single
storey, with round-arched arcades, 3 bays, on each side.
Paired rusticated angle pilasters, entablature, pierced
balustrade.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 241).


Listing NGR: SK5684640187

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.