This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8519 / 53°51'6"N
Longitude: -1.6405 / 1°38'25"W
OS Eastings: 423748
OS Northings: 439582
OS Grid: SE237395
Mapcode National: GBR JRZW.NX
Mapcode Global: WHC94.SF0W
Plus Code: 9C5WV925+QR
Entry Name: St Gabriels House
Listing Date: 7 November 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247222
English Heritage Legacy ID: 486881
Location: Horsforth, Leeds, LS18
Civil Parish: Horsforth
Built-Up Area: Horsforth
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Woodside St James
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 23 NW SCOTLAND LANE
1495/8/10018 (West side)
07-NOV-00 St Gabriels House
House. 1890, with minor C20 alterations. Built for Mr Stables probably to the designs of F W Bedford. Local gritstone with ashlar dressings and a plain tile roof with 2 gable and a single ridge stack. Deep chamfered plinth with first floor sill band and eaves band. 2 storey plus attics. L-plan.
Main south garden front has slightly off-centre 2 storey square bay projection with large 6-light mullion and transom window and above a smaller similar 5-light window with false battlements above and topped with a gable containing a wooden Ipswich-style casement window. To left another large 6-light window and above smaller 3-light and 2-light windows, to right a similar 4-light window.
Rear entrance front has 2 full height gabled projections to right with a tall corner staircase window to the left and above a 5-light chamfered mullion window and to the right the attic floor has a 3-light wooden Ipswich-style window. This façade is masked by a further single storey projecting wing topped with square wooden cupola with leaden ogee roof , behind a slightly higher projection topped with battlements. To the right the main doorway has 5 stone steps, a moulded ashlar door surround and a fine 6 panel door. Above the lintel inscribed HE & MES, Per Ardua Stabilis'.
INTERIOR has large, seventeenth century-style, mahogany, open well staircase with square carved newel posts and balusters. Main reception room has oak wainscot panelling and a moulded plaster frieze, plus a fine stone fireplace with elaborate wooden surround and exposed wooden beams. Fine quality panelled doors throughout, and moulded plaster coving. Some service rooms have fine sets of panelled cupboards.
Listing NGR: SE2374539582
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings