This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3831 / 53°22'59"N
Longitude: -1.5079 / 1°30'28"W
OS Eastings: 432826
OS Northings: 387469
OS Grid: SK328874
Mapcode National: GBR 97K.52
Mapcode Global: WHCCJ.T739
Plus Code: 9C5W9FMR+6R
Entry Name: Wesley Hall
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247313
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456682
Location: Crookes and Crosspool, Sheffield, S10
Electoral Ward/Division: Crookes and Crosspool
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Crookes St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
784-1/5/230 (South West side)
28/06/73 Wesley Hall
Methodist church and Sunday school. 1907, converted late C20.
By WJ Hale. Squared dressed stone with ashlar dressings and
pyramidal slate roof topped with a traceried wooden lantern.
Arts and Crafts version of Perpendicular Gothic style.
PLAN: octagonal main block with radial wings flanking the
porch, shallow apsidal chancel and attached vestry and Sunday
EXTERIOR: main block has heavy battered square angle
buttresses with stepped caps and shaped coped parapet. Above
the porch, a segment-headed 7-light lancet with traceried
transom and 2 chamfered mullions. Left side has 2 similar
windows. Below the right one, a 2-light mullioned window
flanked by single light windows. Below the left one, a single
storey cross-gabled vestry with 3 small square windows.
Entrance porch has octagonal flanking buttresses with panelled
tops and pyramidal caps and coped parapet with mask corbels.
Moulded segment-arched doorway with triple doors and traceried
overlight. On either side, a buttressed link with a doorway.
Beyond, single wings with coped gables with square clasping
buttresses. Each has a moulded segment-headed recess with a
2-light mullioned window with traceried transom. 2 storey
gabled chancel has clasping buttresses. On either side, a
traceried single lancet and below, 4 casements. To left, a 2
storey link building with a canted wooden oriel window to left
and a small plain sash to right. Below, a recessed doorway. To
left again, 2 storey gabled Sunday school range.
INTERIOR has a half-round arch to the chancel, with a choir
gallery. All-round panelled gallery with square wooden posts.
Each bay has a segmental arch with extended keystone. Shallow
WJ Hale, 1862-c1929, was a pupil of Innocent & Brown before
establishing his own practice in Sheffield in 1893. He
designed a number of noteworthy schools and Nonconformist
(Who's Who in Arcitecture, 1914; The Architect: July 19th,
Listing NGR: SK3282687469
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings