This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3886 / 53°23'19"N
Longitude: -1.5065 / 1°30'23"W
OS Eastings: 432915
OS Northings: 388089
OS Grid: SK329880
Mapcode National: GBR 97H.H2
Mapcode Global: WHCCJ.T3S1
Entry Name: Hale Court and Attached Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 22 February 1985
Last Amended: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246793
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455854
Location: Sheffield, S10
Electoral Ward/Division: Crookes and Crosspool
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Crookes St Timothy
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NW NORTHFIELD ROAD
784-1/5/553 (North West side)
22/02/85 Hale Court and attached wall and
(Formerly Listed as:
St Luke's Methodist Church & school)
Methodist church and school, now house and flats. 1899-1900,
converted 1989-90. By William John Hale. Coursed squared stone
with ashlar dressings and C20 plain tile roofs. Arts & Crafts
PLAN: canted chancel, hipped side chapels, transepts, nave,
EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth, sillband, coped gables.
East end has traceried 3-light mullioned window and on either
side, a transomed single light window with double mouchettes.
Side chapels have each a single transomed window. Transepts
have traceried 4-light lancets with hoodmoulds, with C20
Buttressed 3 bay nave has 2-light square headed windows with
transoms and tracery on each side, the south-east one replaced
by a C20 entrance and steps. West end has stepped flanking
buttresses and square flanking towers with panelled tops under
leaded tent roofs with finials. Moulded segmental pointed head
to 5-light traceried window with 2 major mullions.
Flat roofed porch has string course and coped parapet and
segmental gable. Projecting segment-headed doorway with double
doors and mullioned overlight, with angel-head imposts
returned along the sides, sculpted by Frank Tory. On either
side, flat-headed depressed ogee windows, repeated in the
The church and school are linked by a chamfered segmental
pointed archway with hoodmould. Buttressed 4 bay school of
simpler design, with roof topped with tent roofed square bell
turret. East end has a wooden Diocletian window with blocked
openings below it. On either side, 4 single light square
headed windows with double mouchettes. West end has a hipped
polygonal apse with 3 round-headed single light windows with
double mouchettes set high up. On either side, transomed
single light windows with double mouchettes.
INTERIOR: church has arch braced principal rafter roof with 3
purlins and traceried spandrels.
Outside, stone plinth with railing and 2 pairs of gate piers
and gates to Northfield Road.
WJ Hale, 1862-1929, designed a number of noteworthy schools
and Nonconformist churches in Sheffield between 1893 and 1929.
Listing NGR: SK3291588089
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings