This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.376 / 53°22'33"N
Longitude: -1.5153 / 1°30'55"W
OS Eastings: 432342
OS Northings: 386679
OS Grid: SK323866
Mapcode National: GBR 95M.LL
Mapcode Global: WHCCJ.PDMR
Plus Code: 9C5W9FGM+9V
Entry Name: Tapton Hall and Attached Terrace Wall
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247377
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456819
Location: Fulwood, Sheffield, S10
Electoral Ward/Division: Fulwood
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ranmoor St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NW SHORE LANE
784-1/5/663 (West side (off))
28/06/73 Tapton Hall and attached terrace
House, now masonic hall and attached terrace wall. 1855, with
alterations and addition 1967. For Edward Vickers. Ashlar with
hipped slate roof and 6 coped stone ridge stacks. Classical
EXTERIOR: textured rusticated plinth, rusticated quoins, first
floor and sillbands, modillion eaves cornice, coped
2 storeys; 3 x 3 windows. Windows are plain sashes, the ground
floor ones corniced. Eastern entrance front has a central 2
storey square porch with a sash with cornice and moulded
surround, flanked by single sashes with pseudo balustrades.
Moulded round-headed doorcase with glazed double door and
fanlight, flanked by single sashes.
Southern garden front has a projecting centre with a 2 storey
bow window with 3 sashes on each floor, the upper ones with
pseudo balustrades. On either side, single sashes, the lower
ones with cornices.
Rear has to right, 4 sashes on each floor. To left, a set back
bay with a single sash on each floor.
INTERIOR has stairwell with moulded segmental arches,
modillion cornice and rooflight, with L-plan cantilevered
stone stair with cast-iron balusters and newels. Landing has a
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: outside, a rusticated vermiculated
terrace wall with moulded coping and to west, a rounded corner
with semicircular steps. Small intermediate piers with C20
Edward Vickers was one of the most prominent steel
manufacturers in C19 Sheffield. From 1867 to 1967, the house
was the home of the Wilson family, snuff manufacturers.
Listing NGR: SK3234286679
Other nearby listed buildings