History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Crossing House Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Nottingham, City of Nottingham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.951 / 52°57'3"N

Longitude: -1.1162 / 1°6'58"W

OS Eastings: 459475

OS Northings: 339661

OS Grid: SK594396

Mapcode National: GBR LXQ.J8

Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.T2NZ

Entry Name: Crossing House Cottage

Listing Date: 25 September 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247445

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456507

Location: Nottingham, NG2

County: City of Nottingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Dales

Built-Up Area: Nottingham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Sneinton St Christopher

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Nottingham

Listing Text


NOTTINGHAM

SK53NE COLWICK ROAD
646-1/7/163 (North side)
25/09/86 Crossing House Cottage

II

Railway crossing cottage, now house. c1846. Probably by TC
Hine of Nottingham for the Midland Railway. Coursed squared
sandstone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with ashlar
coped gables and kneelers. Tudor Revival style.
Plinth, raised ashlar quoins, chamfered eaves band. Single
side wall chimney with moulded octagonal stack, and external
rear ashlar chimney. 2 storeys; single bay. T-plan. South
front has a central projecting wing with a 4-light cross
mullioned canted bay window, and above, a 2-light window. To
right, a small transomed window. To left, in the return angle,
an obliquely projecting gabled porch. West gable has a 4-light
cross mullioned canted by window, with a 2-light mullioned
window above. INTERIOR remodelled late C20.
This crossing house was built to serve the Nottingham-Lincoln
line engineered by George Stephenson and opened 1846.


Listing NGR: SK5947539661

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


NOTTINGHAM

SK53NE COLWICK ROAD
646-1/7/163 (North side)
25/09/86 Crossing House Cottage

II

Railway crossing cottage, now house. c1846. Probably by TC
Hine of Nottingham for the Midland Railway. Coursed squared
sandstone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with ashlar
coped gables and kneelers. Tudor Revival style.
Plinth, raised ashlar quoins, chamfered eaves band. Single
side wall chimney with moulded octagonal stack, and external
rear ashlar chimney. 2 storeys; single bay. T-plan. South
front has a central projecting wing with a 4-light cross
mullioned canted bay window, and above, a 2-light window. To
right, a small transomed window. To left, in the return angle,
an obliquely projecting gabled porch. West gable has a 4-light
cross mullioned canted by window, with a 2-light mullioned
window above. INTERIOR remodelled late C20.
This crossing house was built to serve the Nottingham-Lincoln
line engineered by George Stephenson and opened 1846.


Listing NGR: SK5947539661

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.