This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3961 / 53°23'45"N
Longitude: -1.43 / 1°25'48"W
OS Eastings: 437999
OS Northings: 388957
OS Grid: SK379889
Mapcode National: GBR 9SD.0D
Mapcode Global: WHDDJ.0WBV
Entry Name: Former Adelphi Cinema
Listing Date: 21 April 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247461
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456943
Location: Sheffield, S9
Electoral Ward/Division: Darnall
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Attercliffe and Darnall
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NE VICARAGE ROAD
784-1/6/732 (West side)
21/04/95 Former Adelphi Cinema
Cinema, now bingo club. 1920, with late C20 alterations.
Brick, partly rendered, with terracotta and faience tile front
and hipped and gabled slate roof. Baroque Revival style.
EXTERIOR: plinth, coped parapets, full width late C20 canopy.
2 storeys plus attics; 5 window range. In the centre,
projecting triple bay defined by faience pilasters with
dentilled cornices. Above, a squat square tower supported by
volutes, with cornice and dome. The dome has 4 round-arched
projections with oval windows, and is topped with a finial.
In the centre, a round-arched coved recess lined with coloured
tiles, with hoodmould and enriched double keystone, containing
a Diocletian window with two 2-light casements below it.
Below, 4 pairs of doors with lattice glazing bars and
overlights. On either side, on the first floor, a 2-light
casement with a cartouche in a panel below it. Above, a square
window with lattice glazing bars. Below, a panel for posters.
Flanking bays have on the first floor a round-arched blank
panel with keystone, and below it, 3 small square windows.
Above, a 3-light window with brick mullions and lattice
glazing bars. Below, multiple glazed doors with overlights.
INTERIOR: largely original, has auditorium with pilasters,
segment-arched panelled ceiling and moulded proscenium arch
with central crest flanked by torches. U-shaped gallery with
latticework plaster front.
Entrance lobby and landings have coved ceilings with enriched
friezes, and glazed tile dadoes. Concrete stairs have
Cinemas dating from this period, between 1918 and the
introduction of sound in the early 1930s, are comparatively
Building vacant at time of survey.
Listing NGR: SK3799988957
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings