This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3816 / 53°22'53"N
Longitude: -1.4892 / 1°29'21"W
OS Eastings: 434073
OS Northings: 387316
OS Grid: SK340873
Mapcode National: GBR 9CK.6L
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.383F
Plus Code: 9C5W9GJ6+J8
Entry Name: Edgar Allen Building, Firth Hall, Rotunda and Quadrangle
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Last Amended: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247504
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457010
Location: Sheffield, S10
Electoral Ward/Division: Broomhill and Sharrow Vale
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield Broomhill St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK3487NW WESTERN BANK
784-1/22/756 (North side)
28/06/73 Edgar Allen Building, Firth Hall,
Rotunda and Quadrangle
(Formerly Listed as:
Edgar Allen Building and Firth Hall
(University of Sheffield))
University hall, and former library, now offices, and
adjoining laboratories and lecture rooms forming 3 sides of a
quadrangle. Main block 1903-1905, rotunda (former library)
1909-1911, quadrangle 1914. Later C20 alterations. All by E
Mitchel Gibbs. Gibbs drew up plans for a double quadrangle,
but this was never completed. Red brick with ashlar dressings
and slate roofs. Perpendicular Revival style.
EXTERIOR: plinth, string courses, machicolated eaves,
crenellated parapets, coped gables. Windows are mainly
mullioned and cross mullioned with stone mullions and
Main block, to right, 2 storeys plus basement and attics; 7
window range. Steep pitched roof with 3 gablets, topped with
an octagonal wooden lantern with spire and weather vane.
Central shallow canted oriel window with 3-light window and
flanking lights, and on either side, 3 similar 3-light
windows, all with panel tracery. Central moulded elliptical
arched entrance with mid C20 brick cheeks and concrete lintel
carrying a crest. On either side, three 3-light windows with
label moulds, Below, to right, 2 similar windows to the
basement, without label moulds.
Right return has a central 3 storey canted bay window with a
3-light window on each floor, the first floor one much taller.
Above, a 2-light pointed arch window with hoodmould in the
To right, a 6-storey octagonal tower with crenellated parapet,
with three 2-light mullioned windows on the lower 4 floors, 2
cross mullioned windows on the next floor, and a 2-light
mullioned window at the top. Left return has a 2 storey canted
bay window with a 3-light window on each floor, and a 2-light
pointed arch window to the attic.
To left, a tall rectangular block, 6 storeys; 2 x 2 windows.
Front has to right an octagonal stair tower, 7 storeys, with
crenellated parapet. 3 lower floors have two stepped 2-light
cross casements, the next floor a single cross casement, then
4 floors with 2-light mullioned windows, and finally 2 small
slit windows in the parapet. To left of the tower, 2 small
windows on the 2 lower floors, then 2 floors with single cross
casements, then a single light, and finally a 2-light
To left, a gable with two 3-light windows, and above, a
similar window to left. Below, a canted bay window with 3
lights, and a 3-light window to its right.
To left, a single storey glazed corridor to the rotunda.
Corridor has a pointed arched glazed double door and a large
Octagonal rotunda, 2 storeys plus basement, has plinth,
sillband, crenellated parapet and partly glazed pyramidal
roof. 7 canted bay windows each with a 4-light mullion window
with panelled transoms with shields and 2-light similar
sidelights. Below, a 4-light mullioned window with 2-light
flanking windows to the ground floor and the basement.
West front, 3 storeys, has a central projecting gable, 3
windows, with segmental bow window flanked by single 3-light
windows, and above, a 3-light window with hoodmould flanked by
single 2-light mullioned windows. Ground floor has an
elaborate stone doorway with mullioned overlight, flanked by
single 3-light windows.
Beyond, on either side, 3 storey ranges with 3 windows on each
floor, the upper ones being transomed gabled dormers. Beyond,
single large projecting gables with 3 windows on each floor,
the second floor central window with a shouldered pointed
head. Beyond, end bays with 2 windows on each floor, the right
one with corridor to the Rotunda.
Inside the quadrangle, the main block has a central canted 2
storey oriel window with a 5-light transomed mullion window,
with smaller windows and doors below. To left, three 3-light
and two 2-light windows, and to right, 3 paired 2-light
windows. Below, on either side, 3 paired 2-light windows.
To left, a canted 3 storey tower with a 4-centred arched door
in the return angle, with a mullioned overlight. Left block, 4
storeys; 15 window range, has central entrance and shallow
second floor oriel under central gable, which is flanked by 6
gabled dormers to left, and 6 to right.
At the corner, a 6 storey octagonal stair tower with 4-centred
arched door and a window on each floor.
Rear block, 4 storeys; 10 window range, has central 4-centred
arched entrance and 3 first floor oriel windows. 10 gabled
dormers. At the right corner, an octagonal stair tower.
To its right, a projecting block with large left gable with
crocketed pinnacles. Central 2 storey crenellated oriel window
with 4 lights on each floor, and below a 5-light traceried
window. Left return has 2 windows on each floor. To right, a
range with 3 windows on each floor and 3 gabled dormers. To
right again, a gable with 3 windows on each floor.
INTERIOR: entrance has wrought-iron gates and 2 moulded Tudor
arches with half-glazed double doors and overlights. Entrance
hall has 2 similar arches and open well cantilever stone stair
with cross beam ceiling above. Ground floor spinal corridor
has moulded brick Tudor arched openings. First floor corridor
has similar arches and arch braced roof with wall shafts.
Firth Hall has arch braced principal rafter roof with drops
and wall plate decorated with shields. 3 pairs of glazed
double doors, 2 of them with side and top lights. Corridor to
rotunda has curved beamed ceiling and a pair of doors on each
side. Stone steps to stilted arched entrance to rotunda.
Rotunda has a circular arcade with clustered piers and
transoms with portrait masks of university benefactors, and
moulded Tudor arches. Arch braced roof with leaded glazed
octagonal skylight, also arch braced. Cantilevered concrete
winder stair with traceried wrought-iron balustrade.
Fittings include a Gothic arched freestanding war memorial,
1926, by H St John Harrison, and marble bust of Mark Firth,
1879. Repousse copper door furniture and octagonal lanterns.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West
Riding: London: 1967-: 459).
Listing NGR: SK3407387316
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings