History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gpo Pillar Box to West of Junction with Blackley Park Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Harpurhey, Manchester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.517 / 53°31'1"N

Longitude: -2.2133 / 2°12'47"W

OS Eastings: 385956

OS Northings: 402274

OS Grid: SD859022

Mapcode National: GBR DR2.F8

Mapcode Global: WHB98.ZV7P

Entry Name: Gpo Pillar Box to West of Junction with Blackley Park Road

Listing Date: 3 October 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247606

English Heritage Legacy ID: 457193

Location: Manchester, M9

County: Manchester

Electoral Ward/Division: Harpurhey

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Blackley St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Manchester

Listing Text


MANCHESTER

SD80SE ROCHDALE ROAD, Harpurhey
698-1/3/710 (West side)
03/10/74 GPO pillar box to west of junction
with Blackley Park Road

II

GPO pillar box. Of type dating from 1859-79, known as
"Hexagonal Penfold". Cast-iron. Hexagonal section, approx. 2m
high, with moulded base lettered "COCHRANE / & CO / DUDLEY",
semi-hexagonal door with ornamental monogram "VR", band with
posting slot in front and "POST" on sides, frieze with Royal
Arms, moulded cornice with band of large beads, and shallow
ogee cap of acanthus leaves with ball-flower finial. The only
surviving free-standing Victorian pillar box in the city.


Listing NGR: SD8595602274

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


MANCHESTER

SD80SE ROCHDALE ROAD, Harpurhey
698-1/3/710 (West side)
03/10/74 GPO pillar box to west of junction
with Blackley Park Road

II

GPO pillar box. Of type dating from 1859-79, known as
"Hexagonal Penfold". Cast-iron. Hexagonal section, approx. 2m
high, with moulded base lettered "COCHRANE / & CO / DUDLEY",
semi-hexagonal door with ornamental monogram "VR", band with
posting slot in front and "POST" on sides, frieze with Royal
Arms, moulded cornice with band of large beads, and shallow
ogee cap of acanthus leaves with ball-flower finial. The only
surviving free-standing Victorian pillar box in the city.


Listing NGR: SD8595602274

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.