History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milestone and Cover Plate 45 Metres South West of Ivy Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Margaretting, Essex

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6823 / 51°40'56"N

Longitude: 0.4014 / 0°24'4"E

OS Eastings: 566108

OS Northings: 200895

OS Grid: TL661008

Mapcode National: GBR NJQ.D99

Mapcode Global: VHJK6.XZ18

Entry Name: Milestone and Cover Plate 45 Metres South West of Ivy Cottage

Listing Date: 30 October 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247731

English Heritage Legacy ID: 429084

Location: Margaretting, Chelmsford, Essex, CM4

County: Essex

District: Chelmsford

Civil Parish: Margaretting

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Margaretting St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Stock

Listing Text

The following shall be added:

MARGARETTING ROMAN ROAD
1. (south east side)
5213

TL60 SE

12/1004 Milestone and Cover plate
45 m SW of Ivy Cottage
II

2.
Milestone and cover plate. C18 and early C19. Limestone and cast-iron. Mile-
stone angled to the road so that the inscribed surfaces face N and W, the
inscriptions concealed by the cover plate, whose N vertical face is embossed
'Ingatestone 1', the W vertical face 'chelmsford 5' and on inclined surface
above 'To London 24 Margareting'. This design of cover plate was initiated by
James McAdam and used by the Essex Trust on this turnpike road in 1819, to avoid
the frequent cost of recutting inscriptions. Shown in Chapman and Andre's map
of 1777.


Listing NGR: TL6610800895

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

The following shall be added:

MARGARETTING ROMAN ROAD
1. (south east side)
5213

TL60 SE

12/1004 Milestone and Cover plate
45 m SW of Ivy Cottage
II

2.
Milestone and cover plate. C18 and early C19. Limestone and cast-iron. Mile-
stone angled to the road so that the inscribed surfaces face N and W, the
inscriptions concealed by the cover plate, whose N vertical face is embossed
'Ingatestone 1', the W vertical face 'chelmsford 5' and on inclined surface
above 'To London 24 Margareting'. This design of cover plate was initiated by
James McAdam and used by the Essex Trust on this turnpike road in 1819, to avoid
the frequent cost of recutting inscriptions. Shown in Chapman and Andre's map
of 1777.


Listing NGR: TL6610800895

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.