This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.1259 / 55°7'33"N
Longitude: -1.7966 / 1°47'47"W
OS Eastings: 413066
OS Northings: 581296
OS Grid: NZ130812
Mapcode National: GBR H9W5.TB
Mapcode Global: WHC2W.CFP8
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 28 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247805
English Heritage Legacy ID: 429179
Location: Whalton, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Whalton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Whalton St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
WHALTON WHALTON VILLAGE
(South side, off)
12/187 Church of St.
28.4.69 Mary Magdalene
Parish Church. West tower probably C11; north arcade west respond early C12;
church remodelled with 3-bay aisled nave and 2-bay Ogle chapel north of chancel
in early C13; later medieval alterations included refenestration, raising of
walls and lowering of roof pitch. Rewindowed late in C18 with sashes, most
replaced in Gothic style in 1908 restoration when south porch rebuilt. Squared
stone with cut dressings; low-pitched lead roofs.
Tower on stepped and chamfered plinth, with later stepped buttress on south.
Gothick west window with imposts and hoodmould, holding 16-pane sash with
intersecting glazing bars. Single segment-headed light on west below belfry,
and single-handed 1796 clockface on east. Broad trefoiled bell openings except
for round-headed light on west. Embattled parapet. South porch with diagonal
buttresses and double boarded doors under pointed arch with ogee hoodmould and
finial. Within porch, double-chamfered south door has hoodmould with head stops.
South aisle shows west lancet, 2-light east window with reticulated tracery, and
two 1908 south windows above traces of blocked lancets and carved shield with
Ogle arms. Single square-headed clerestorey window. North aisle has stepped
diagonal north-west buttress, west lancet, and 3 early C20 north windows; traces
of earlier openings beneath. Chancel has small stepped set-back east buttresses
and similar buttress on south wall. 2 early C20 south windows with renewed
priest's door between; earlier blocked opening between buttresses to east.
3-light east window. Ogle Chapel has larged stepped diagonal north-east
buttress and early C20 windows. Monuments fixed to south walls include 2 small
medieval slabs and C18 headstones.
Interior: Tall round-headed tower arch of 2 orders with possibly later chamfers,
the inner on chamfered imposts. Arcades of double-chamfered pointed arches
with broach stops, on slender octagonal piers with moulded caps and bases.
South arcade has hoodmould with head stops. Corbel responds, north-west above
earlier half-drum with scallop cap. In south aisle: piscina, 4-centred tomb
recess with C13 cross slab, rere-arches of 2 blocked lancets and stoup by
door. Double-chamfered arch into Ogle Chapel.
Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on responds with nail-head; hoodmould to
nave has dragonhead stop above line of former rood beam. Round, double-chamfered
chancel arcade on central pier with large dog-tooth between filleted angle
shafts with carved masks at top; moulded pier and respond caps with nail-head
and cable moulding. To east of arcade large corbel with Ogle arms. South wall
shows piscina, traces of sedilia and several blocked openings.
Octagonal C15 font. Traces of wall paintings above nave arcades. In Ogle
Chapel 3 floor slabs of 1564, 1566 and 1613, among the earliest armorial stones
in the county. Painted benefaction slab of 1720 in north aisle. Royal arms of
George III in south aisle. Wall monuments in Ogle Chapel include John Ogle
d.1831 and Sara Ogle d.1846, both by E.W. Baily. Carved reredos of 1901; carved
choirstalls; marble-tiled sanctuary.
Listing NGR: NZ1306681295
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings