This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.1265 / 55°7'35"N
Longitude: -1.7958 / 1°47'44"W
OS Eastings: 413117
OS Northings: 581365
OS Grid: NZ131813
Mapcode National: GBR H9X5.03
Mapcode Global: WHC2W.DD2T
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 29 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247809
English Heritage Legacy ID: 429185
Location: Whalton, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Whalton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Whalton St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
WHALTON WHALTON VILLAGE
12/193 The Old Rectory
Rectory. Tower-house of late C14 or C15; kitchen wing probably C16; main
block C16 or earlier largely rebuilt in early C18; north wing probably C18;
bay windows and additions on north including heightening of north wing, early-
mid Cl9. Tower-house massive rubble with megalithic quoins, later tooled to
represent coursed masonry; main block south front squared stone; right return
of main block, kitchen wing and ground floor north wing coursed rubble; C19
parts tooled squared stone; cut dressings, ashlar in C19 parts. Welsh slate
roof on main block, Scottish slates on kitchen and north wings; rendered brick
stacks. Overall L-plan.
South elevation 2 storeys, in 2 parts. Main block, 2+1+2 windows, symmetrical.
Chamfered plinth, rusticated quoins. Central half-glazed door with patterned
overlight, in C19 raised-and-chamfered stone surround, flanked by broad canted
bays with moulded cornices and 12-pane sash windows in chamfered surrounds;
5 similar windows in C18 raised stone surrounds above. Coped gable with moulded
kneelers on right; end stacks. To left is tower-house reduced in C18 to conform
with facade. Traces of blocked ground floor window with sash in raised stone
surround above; roof hipped to left.
3-bay left return of tower has 1st floor plate-glass sashes in C18 openings.
Right return a 3-bay kitchen wing with 1st floor 4-pane sashes, and lower
north wing to far right. Twin-gabled north elevation shows flush-panelled door,
with 3-pane overlight, and various sash windows. Kitchen wing on left with two
12-pane sashes in C18 raised stone surrounds and coped gable with moulded
kneelers; further sash windows in lower north wing.
Interior: ground floor of tower contains 2 square chambers with parallel
segmental vaults divided by cross-wall with chamfered doorway; southern chamber
has 4-centred fireplace and mural stair with lintels on chamfered corbels.
Main block has open-well open-string stair of c.1800 with stick balusters,
ramped and moulded handrail, curtail step and carved newel. Contemporary cornices
with Greek key ornament and, in sitting room, rose cornice. 6-panel doors,
panelled shutters. Kitchen wing has walls 1 metre + thick.
Listing NGR: NZ1311781365
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings