This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0411 / 51°2'27"N
Longitude: -3.5495 / 3°32'58"W
OS Eastings: 291460
OS Northings: 128003
OS Grid: SS914280
Mapcode National: GBR LF.GNL7
Mapcode Global: FRA 36GC.DZ4
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 6 April 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247824
English Heritage Legacy ID: 429209
Location: Dulverton, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA22
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: Dulverton
Built-Up Area: Dulverton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
SS9127 DULVERTON CP BAK SQUARE (North side)
9/60 Church of All Saints
Parish church, Tower C15, extensively restored 1853-5 when rest of church rebuilt by Edward Ashworth, bui1ders, Samuel
Shewbrooks of Taunton, sanctuary redecorated and organ given 1873-4. Squared rubble local stone, Ham stone dressings,
slate roofs, coped verges, octagonal crenellated chimney in south-west corner of south aisle, West tower, south-west
porch, north-west vestry, north and south aisles, 4-bay nave, north-east vestry, south-east chapel, chancel.
Crenellated 3-stage tower, diagonal buttresses, 2-light louvred bell-openings, lancet resting on string course on south
face below clock, 3-liqht west window, chamfered pointed arch west door; crenellated single storey porch approached by
flight of 3 steps, 2-light west window, moulded arched doorway on south front, similar inner doorway, 3-light window to
west end of crenellated south aisle, decorative merlons, four 3-light windows between stepped buttresses, door to
basement for boiler room end bay left with wrought iron railings enclosing bay, crenellated polygonal stair turret,
3-light chancel windows flanking priests door approached by lateral flight of steps, decorative rainwater head with
date, east end 4-light windows to aisles flanking 3-light windows between stepped buttresses, 3-light west window, door
below. Interior: rendered. Moulded pointed chancel arch with angel corbels, similar tower arch; open ribbed barrel
vault roofs with bosses; good example of oak rood screen given 1902 by Mrs Snow, 2:1:2 bays with rood above, continued
as 5-bay screen to chapel with rood stair; low screen between central bays of chancel and chapel to south, vestry north
with organ. West vestry with singing gallery over. Bath stone reredos with crocketed niches for Ten Commandments
1873-5. C19 stained glass of varying quality, good west window, unfortunate east window dated 1864. Brass in north
aisle to Humphrey Sydenham died 1710, marble tablet to his nanesake died 1757; in tower convex oval tablet with putti
surround to Robert Kingford died 1790; and other tablets. C19 fittings including Perpendicular style font and pretty
brass coronet light mantles. Lectern given 1912. Royal coat of arms, painted on wood, dated 1714. Ashworth was the
Exeter Diocesan architect. (Kellys Directory, 1914; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: SS9146028003
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings