History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pixton Park

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dulverton, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0339 / 51°2'1"N

Longitude: -3.5347 / 3°32'4"W

OS Eastings: 292486

OS Northings: 127176

OS Grid: SS924271

Mapcode National: GBR LG.H0CV

Mapcode Global: FRA 36HD.0RB

Plus Code: 9C3R2FM8+G4

Entry Name: Pixton Park

Listing Date: 6 April 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247974

English Heritage Legacy ID: 429463

Location: Dulverton, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA22

County: Somerset

District: Somerset West and Taunton

Civil Parish: Dulverton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Dulverton

Listing Text


SS92NW DULVERTON CP

PIXTON PARK

9/86 Pixton Park

6.4.59

- II*

Country house. Circa 1760, altered internally cl820, 1870 again altered internally, west wing with billiard room added,
entrance resited on north front, entrance hall with service wing added on east side. Built for the Acland family,
altered by the Earl of Carnarvon. Roughcast over rubble, Ham stone dressings, hipped slate roofs, mansard to billiard
wing, tall stacks rising on returns, modillion cornice on south front. Plan: original block double pile. Billiard room
added south-west corner, entrance porch added north-east corner opening into through corridor with service wing
adjoining an east front. South front: original block 3-storey, billiard wing 2-storey plus attic, 2:1:3:1 bays,
pediment to central 3 bays, giant Ionic pilasters divided by flat string course set over basement, second floor 9-pane
sash windows, 12-pane first floor, ground floor 18-pane in billiard wing, 12-pane right, arch head niches with aprons
above in centre pedimented doorcase right in single storey entrance wing, service wing beyond to right. Interior: hall
altered in 1870, divided by 3-bay arcade, staircase rising on north front, to south top lit gallery continued around 2
storeys supported by large modillion brackets. Some early C19 plaster cornices in south front rooms and white marble
chimney piece, (the dining room chimney piece removed after former listing), panelled shutters, pedimented doorcases
and original doors. It is believed that the house was originally entered on the east front via a courtyard formed from
2 flanking service wings demolished in 1870. This was the home of Col Molyneux Herbert who lies in the memorial chapel
in Brushford Church (qv). Photographs in NMR; Press, Somersetshire County Houses and Villages, 1931).


Listing NGR: SS9248627176

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.