This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2176 / 51°13'3"N
Longitude: 0.2116 / 0°12'41"E
OS Eastings: 554553
OS Northings: 148816
OS Grid: TQ545488
Mapcode National: GBR MNR.L9Y
Mapcode Global: VHHPZ.MN7F
Entry Name: Oldhouse Farmhouse
Listing Date: 19 February 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1248329
English Heritage Legacy ID: 179616
Location: Hildenborough, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN11
District: Tonbridge and Malling
Civil Parish: Hildenborough
Built-Up Area: Philpots Lane, nr Tonbridge
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Hildenborough St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
HILDENBOROUGH PHILPOTS LANE (north side)
TQ 54 NW
4/183 Old House Farmhouse
Former farmhouse. Late C16/early C17, alterations of circa 1939. Framed
construction, the ground floor largely underbuilt in brick, the first floor
tile-hung; peg-tile roof; brick stacks.
Plan and Development: The house faces south east. The original arrangement
was a 3-room plan main range with a lobby entrance to left of centre, the
right hand (north east) room in a crosswing with what was probably an unheated
service room to the rear. There was a second unheated service room in a rear
left wing at right angles to the main range. The 2 principal left hand rooms,
heated from back-to-back fireplaces in an axial stack, were a parlour, to the
left and a hall to the right. The position of the original kitchen is
unclear. Cooking may have been carried out in the hall but the high quality
fireplace in this room suggests a superior status, and it may be that the
right hand room, altered and extended in circa 1939, was the original kitchen.
Post C17 alterations include the addition of a stack to the rear left service
wing (possibly in the C19) and a major phase of 1939 during which the house
was extended at both ends of the main range and re-windowed. The 2 rear wings
were linked by a rear outshut with, above it on the first floor, an axial
passage contained within a flat-roofed projection. The extension of the right
hand (north east) room included a projecting end stack.
Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical 4 window front, the end-of the
crosswing to right of centre, flush with the main range front wall. Roof
hipped at ends of main range and rear wings. Circa 1939 porch to the lobby
entrance to left of centre with a hipped tiled roof carried on re-used, cut
down wall posts. Set of 1930s 1-, 2- and 3-light metal-framed windows; 2
attic dormers with hipped roofs. There is a second, 1930s entrance on the
right return into a lean-to porch between the main range and rear right wing.
Old photographs (National Monument Record, 1957) show that the shaft of the
stack to the rear left wing has been truncated.
Interior: The parlour, to the left, preserves a fine late C16/early C17
moulded stone chimney-piece with a Tudor arched lintel and elaborately-stopped
jambs. Original carpentry includes a longitudinal beam and chamfered step-
stopped joists. The extension of the room to the left in the 1930s involved
the removal of the original left end wall. The hall, in the centre, also
retains its original ceiling beam and exposed joists. The fireplace has
chamfered stone jambs and a moulded oak lintel which may possibly be re-used.
A void in the masonry of the axial stack;accessible from a trap door in the
first floor, is of unknown function. Some brick patching suggests that there
may have been access to it from the hall fireplace but it shows no signs of
blackening. The right hand ground floor room, in the crosswing, has plainer
exposed carpentry. The circa 1939 extension could have involved the removal
of an original end stack, the addition is marked by an open timber screen re-
using old wall posts. The chamber over the hall has a fine moulded stone
chimney-piece with a deep hollow moulding, a Tudor arch and rustic oak leaves
and acorns carved in the spandrels. It is in surprisingly good condition for
an original chimney-piece. This chamber and that over the parlour preserve
their original ceiling carpentry with scroll stops, the chamber over the right
hand room has a raised ceiling, the original presumably removed when the 1930s
stair was inserted. This room and the chamber over the hall both have the
remains of original unglazed windows in the front wall frame. Above the lobby
a flight of late C16/early C17 oak stairs, dividing at the top, leads to the
attic rooms. The wall framing, where exposed, is of large scantling with
roughly-dressed jowls to the wall posts.
Roof: The roof of the main range is largely concealed behind the lining of
the attic rooms, but appears to be original with rafters of large scantling,
including at least one blackened rafter, perhaps re-used from a former smoke
bay. Side purlin roof to the crosswing with convex wind braces.
The house is reputed to have been the home of a bastard son of Sir Philip
Sidney of Penshurst (information from the owner).
A traditional house of the region retaining much of its original carpentry.
Listing NGR: TQ5455348816
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings