This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2184 / 51°13'6"N
Longitude: 0.2163 / 0°12'58"E
OS Eastings: 554879
OS Northings: 148910
OS Grid: TQ548489
Mapcode National: GBR MNR.FJ8
Mapcode Global: VHHPZ.PMQV
Plus Code: 9F326698+9G
Entry Name: Philpots
Listing Date: 19 February 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1363155
English Heritage Legacy ID: 179615
Location: Hildenborough, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN11
Civil Parish: Hildenborough
Built-Up Area: Philpots Lane, nr Tonbridge
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Hildenborough St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
HILDENBOROUGH PHILPOTS LANE (north side)
TQ 54 NW
House. C16 origins, remodelled in the circa 1830s and again in circa 1920.
The C16 wing is of framed construction, tile-hung and underbuilt in brick on
the ground floor of the east side. The later phases are brick with tile-
hanging to the first floor, the early C19 brickwork with blue headers; brick
stacks; peg-tile roof.
Plan and Development: The present house faces south with a crosswing at the
west end and additional blocks to the north. The 2-cell west crosswing is the
earliest surviving part of the building and probably represents the parlour
wing only of the original house. It is heated from back-to-back fireplaces in
an axial stack, the front (south) room a high quality parlour, the north room
is much plainer with considerable alteration but incorporating a straight
stair of C16 or early C17 date. The main range consists of a grand 1830s
stair and entrance hall to the west with an Edwardian drawing room to the
east. The present kitchen is in a probably 1920s block at the north end of
the crosswing and a second block adjoins the rear of the main range.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 2-window south front. A change in the
brickwork marks out the early C19 work to the left (west) from the 1920 phase
to the right. Early C19 plank and cover strip front door to the left with a
gabled porch hood, flanked by 1-light small-pane timber windows. 2 first
floor small-pane timber casements, probably early C20 in date, one 3-light
casement to ground floor right with square leaded panes, also early C20. The
east elevation of the wing has 2 tall early C20 ground floor windows with
square leaded panes and 2 2-light first floor early C20 timber casements with
small panes. The rear (west) elevation of the wing has also been re-windowed
in the early C20 including a 2-storey bay window with transomed lights. The
fenestration to the rest of the house is a mixture of early and late C20.
Interior: The south ground floor room of the crosswing preserves a fine C16
ceiling of richly-moulded intersecting beams in 8 panels with exposed joists.
The main crossbeam is supported on short arched braces with carved spandrels,
including a Tudor rose. The early C20 chimney-piece incorporates a probably
re-sited iron fireback, dated 1571. The moulded doorframe with carved
spandrels and a keyblock with the Royal Arms is probably early C19. The north
room of the crosswing has a replaced crossbeam, rebuilt fireplace and probably
re-used joists. C17 wall panelling has been re-sited on the north wall,
screening off a narrow, straight stair with solid baulk oak steps. The stair
has been altered at the bottom of the flight but may have originally risen in
front of a doorway in the west wall of the wing. The first floor south room
in the wing has a Jacobean chimney-piece, not necessarily in its original
position with carved demi-figures and round-headed blind arcading with 2
panels of inlaid wood, possibly Italian, representing perspectival scenes of
classical architecture. The chimney-piece incorporates an iron fireback dated
1534. The entrance hall has a fine open well stick baluster stair of circa
1830 with a steeply-curved handrail. The walls have been panelled in the
circa 1920s and the balustrade has been grained. The 1920s east end room in
the main range is panelled.
Roof: The roof over the south end of the west wing is entirely C20. Other
roofs not accessible at time of survey (1988).
Philpots was a sub-manor within the manor of Dachurst and passed from the de
Philpot family by marriage to the successful local yeoman Children family. In
the C17 it descended by marriage to the Polhill family. By the end of the C18
the sub-manor had been reduced to 30 acres (Notes on Dachurst Manor and Selbys
Farm by J.M. Edwards).
Listing NGR: TQ5487948910
Other nearby listed buildings