History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Scholes Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Matlock, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.1355 / 53°8'7"N

Longitude: -1.5256 / 1°31'32"W

OS Eastings: 431833

OS Northings: 359925

OS Grid: SK318599

Mapcode National: GBR 6B8.K2D

Mapcode Global: WHCDP.JGQ2

Plus Code: 9C5W4FPF+6Q

Entry Name: Scholes Mill

Listing Date: 14 May 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1248492

English Heritage Legacy ID: 430118

Location: Tansley, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Tansley

Built-Up Area: Tansley

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Tansley Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

The following item shall be added:

1390 Scholes Mill

SK 35 NW 7/171


Former cotton spinning mill (later used for the manufacture of red tape,
and at time of inspection in April 1990 used for storage), with
manager's house attached. Built 1797 for Samuel Unwin. Coursed
gritstone rubble; Welsh Slate roof. Some later brick ancillary
buildings. Plan: the wheel appears to have been set transversely
partly within the mill building and contained within stone cross walls
(which are not continued above ground level) with associated gear placed
within low outshuts. Mill: 3 storeys, 16 window range almost identical
to both sides, all windows under flat lintels with stone sills, and 30-
pane cast iron window frames with small central opening. Left-hand
stone end stack (for heating) with a tall brick end stack to right
abutting the end wall (for engine house, dismantled, which replaced the
water-powered system in later C19). Later skylight. Manager's house
attached to left: 2½ storeys, 4 window range. Ground-floor with 2
tripartite sash windows and doorway (with rectangular overlight) in
stone surrounds, the latter with panelled door. Larger entrance to
right (opposed to rear) under elliptical arch. 1st floor with 4 widows,
2 tripartite, all with sashes. Upper half-storey with flat headed sash
windows. Rear similar, but more of the sashes replaced. Interior: of
mill, intact (except for machinery); power rise to all floors except
attic. King post roof with angle struts. House, modest, with some
contemporary features.

Listing NGR: SK3183359925

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.