This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1371 / 53°8'13"N
Longitude: -1.5343 / 1°32'3"W
OS Eastings: 431252
OS Northings: 360093
OS Grid: SK312600
Mapcode National: GBR 6B8.8X5
Mapcode Global: WHCDP.DDMW
Plus Code: 9C5W4FP8+R7
Entry Name: Tansley Wood Mill
Listing Date: 5 September 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389284
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487919
Location: Tansley, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Tansley
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Tansley Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK36SW Tansley Wood Mill
Textile Factory, empty at time of inspection (6/ 2000.) 1783, with additions of c.1794 and early C19. Coursed squared rubble gritstone, with ashlar dressings, coped gables and slate roof coverings.
PLAN: Early L-plan, formed by 2 near-contemporary C18 ranges aligned east- west, and north-south with additions now giving an asymmetrical U-shaped complex.
EXTERIOR. WEST RANGE, WEST ELEVATION: This faces onto Lumsdale Road, and comprises 2, 6 bay , 3- storeyed sections and a lower storeyed range which terminates at the site entrance. The central quoining defines the 2 phases of the 3 storey sections, the northern part with first and second floor windows to each bay, and loading door to north bay. Ground floor with 5 windows, 2 now blocked, the latter with lintols with integral false keyblocks. Window openings mainly with wedge lintels and projecting cills, and a mixture of casements, some with glazing bars, and glazing bar sashes. Southern range with quoined end, and mainly with flush heads and cills to window openings, 6 to the ground floor, one blocked, 5 to the first floor and 6 to the upper floor. 2 first floor openings with integral key block lintels. 2 storey addition at south end built of more precisely- cut gritstone blocks with 3, two- light glazing bar casements.
EAST ELEVATION: Lower range to left formerly open-fronted, now with multi-pane window frames flanking central doorway. 3-storey range to right with blind coped gable. Southern section with mainly casement windows beneath integral key block lintels. Inserted doorway to second bay, and clock face between first floor openings to bays 4 and 5. Blocked doorway to bay 6. Northern section with wide basket arched doorway to first bay, and blocked openings further right with wedge lintels. Remaining bays obscured by lean-to addition against south wall of 1783 range.
NORTH RANGE, SOUTH ELEVATION: 7 bays, 3 storeys, with the original wheelpit within east end bay. West end with 2-storeyed lean- to extension, and late C19 flat-roofed addition to next 2 bays. Flight of steps gives access to first floor entrance at bay 6. Window openings to 3-storeyed range have integral key block lintels. Wheelpit bay with hoist canopy and upper floor double doorway. Extending southwards from this end is a later C19 6 bay, 2 storey range of coursed gritstone blocks, with a doorway with a massive ashlar surround, 2 inserted doors and 6 upper floor windows, one blocked.
INTERIOR: The mill complex has plain timber cross beams and joisted floors. Supplementary mid-span supports, mainly cast iron columns are found in some areas, mainly at ground floor level, but in general, the floor areas are uninterrupted. Roof trusses to both ranges have strutted king and queen posts, and carry double side purlins and a ridge board. Widened and curved window reveals to one bay in the western range suggest the location of a vertical drive shaft to provide power to the upper floors. The north range, the earliest component of the complex is 65 feet long and 23 feet wide. There are hearths in the south wall at first and second floor levels, but the external chimneys have been removed. The wheelpit at the east end is 34 feet long and 9feet wide, with a masonry breast at the north end. The pit, surveyed in 1990-91 retains evidence of 2 different phases of water power, and of its enlargement to accommodate a wheel of 33 foot diameter. The east gable houses 2 bearing boxes for drives at ground and first floor levels.
HISTORY: The earliest mill dating to 1783 was developed by Osgathorpe and Prestwidge for the spinning of candlewick yarn from flax waste. This failed financially, and was bought by Miss Willoughby, who, in partnership with John Radford, further developed the site, constructing the dam, improving watercourses, and enlarging the mill complex. The present configuration of buildings is shown on a map of the Cromford canal of 1802. Candlewick was produced on site until 1871, and the mill continued in use for textile manufacture and latterly for finishing until 1999.
Tansley Wood Mill is a substantially complete example of a late C18, first generation water- powered textile factory, whose form is strongly influenced by, and is a near-contemporary of Sir Richard Arkwright's pioneering cotton spinning factory at nearby Cromford. The site retains clear evidence of phased development, and of the enhancement of its water power-producing capacity,
Listing NGR: SK3125260093
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings