This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7643 / 52°45'51"N
Longitude: 1.1195 / 1°7'10"E
OS Eastings: 610566
OS Northings: 323089
OS Grid: TG105230
Mapcode National: GBR TC4.MVX
Mapcode Global: WHLRN.5SC5
Entry Name: Moor House Including Conservatory Adjoining South West
Listing Date: 18 April 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1249264
English Heritage Legacy ID: 431351
Location: Reepham, Broadland, Norfolk, NR10
Civil Parish: Reepham
Built-Up Area: Reepham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Reepham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
The following item should be added:
TG 12 SW REEPHAM
4/132 Moor House
Country house, dated 1888, built for Samuel Bircham. Flemish bond red brick
with freestone dressings, plain tile roof with crow-step gable ends with
c rbelled kneelers and brick c rbelled eaves. Stacks with tall brick shafts
land c rbelled brick caps.
Victorian Jacobean style.
Plan: Overall L-shaped plan. The main front range has 4 rooms including the
entrance hall to left of centre, a room immediately to its right and a large
billiard room at the extreme right hand end with a large bay window at the
front. To the left of the entrance hall the drawing room which extends into
the service wing at the rear has a tower over a porch on its left side. The
conservatory is attached at right angles to the left side of the service wing.
Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical 5-bay south east front. Bays
1 and 3 have crow-stepped gabled projecting bays with terracotta finials; bay
5 has a large 2-storey canted bay window with an embattled parapet and
4-centred arch doorway in its left side, and bay 2 has a brick porch with an
embattled parapet, moulded 4-centred arch doorway with a panelled door and
shield above dated 1888. All large stone mullion-transom windows, bay 4 has
a large 4 by 3-light window. The toplights of the windows have stained
The left hand return (south west elevation) has a stack with a window through
the chimney breast to the right, a tall tower to right of centre over a porch
with a 4 centred arch doorway; the tower has a brick lambard frieze and
lantern with a tiled pyramidal roof. To the left the service wing has a
stepped gable and in the angle a splayed 2-storey bay with battlements. At
the rear stepped gables to wings and to right a single storey 'out ' with
The conservatory attached to the south west side of the service wing is wooden
framed and glazed on red brick plinth and has 3-centred arch lights with
glazing bars and taller central polygonal porch with stained glass top lights
and a lantern with finials.
Interior: Largely unaltered interior with good features. The entrance
hall has moulded arch screen to staircase and gallery, both with
Jacobean style arcaded balustrades and a moulded wooden rib ceiling with
painted plaster panels. The room to the right of the hall has painted
panelling and chimneypiece and a moulded plaster ceiling.
The billiard room at right hand end has moulded plaster ribbed ceiling
and large mahogany chimneypiece with detached Ionic columns. Drawing
room chimneypiece has painted decoration, tiled grate and an unusual
feature of a window above through the chimney breast flanked by fluted
pilasters. Much of the original joinery survives including moulded and
panelled doors and the plaster ceiling cornices are intact.
Historical note: The Birchams were a prominent local family who are
said to have also built The Olland (demolished) and Dial House (grade
II*) in the Market Place, Reepham.
Source: information provided by Broadland District Council and Reepham
Listing NGR: TG1056623089
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings