History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clapper House and Pump

A Grade II Listed Building in Hunton, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.213 / 51°12'46"N

Longitude: 0.4756 / 0°28'31"E

OS Eastings: 573001

OS Northings: 148893

OS Grid: TQ730488

Mapcode National: GBR PRR.T71

Mapcode Global: VHJML.6R8Y

Entry Name: Clapper House and Pump

Listing Date: 25 July 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1249748

English Heritage Legacy ID: 431953

Location: Hunton, Maidstone, Kent, ME15

County: Kent

District: Maidstone

Civil Parish: Hunton

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Hunton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
East Farleigh

Listing Text

EAST STREET
TQ 74 NW HUNTON
(East Side)
4/66 Clapper House
and Pump
25.7.52
GV II
Farmhouse, now house. Mid C15 with early C17 alterations, early C19
additions and early C20 restoration. Timber-framed, with rendered
infilling. Plain tile roof. Wealden of 2 roughly equal-length hall
bays and storeyed end bays, that to left end slightly longer. 2
storeys, on stone plinth. Close-studded. Right and left end bays
jettied, jetties returning, underbuilt, on plain dragon posts. Solid
bracket under central tie-beam and renewed solid-spandrel braces to
flying wall-plate. Higher midrail to left hall bay and further rail
just below inner wall-plate. Multiple red and grey brick ridge stack
to centre of left hall bay, and projecting red and grey brick stack with
stone base to right gable end. Irregular fenestration of 4 leaded
casements; one 3-light to each end bay and to right hall bay, and one
2-light under stack. 7-light ovolo-moulded mullion first-floor window
to rear. Blocked doorway under stack. Low stone lean-to to left,
wrapping round rear of left end bay, with timber-framed rear wall.
Central single-storey red brick rear wing, with gable end stack,
internal brick copper-stand, and boarded door to right side. Pump
beside door with plaque RB
1804 Interior: exposed framing. Moulded
octagonal crown post, on cambered tie-beam morticed for solid-spandrel
braces and fillet. Chamfer-stopped stone fireplace, including one to
first floor .


Listing NGR: TQ7300148893

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.