This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.212 / 51°12'43"N
Longitude: 0.4746 / 0°28'28"E
OS Eastings: 572937
OS Northings: 148780
OS Grid: TQ729487
Mapcode National: GBR PRR.SZM
Mapcode Global: VHJML.5SRQ
Entry Name: Bridge House
Listing Date: 7 August 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381397
English Heritage Legacy ID: 481758
Location: Hunton, Maidstone, Kent, ME15
Civil Parish: Hunton
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Hunton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 74 NW EAST STREET
1804/4/10007 Bridge House
House with butcher's shop, later two cottages, now in one ownership. House probably mid C18 possibly replacing C16 building, butcher's shop early C19.
EXTERIOR: House is timberframed, rendered and colourwashed except for right side elevation which is tile-hung. Kentish peg tiled roof with off central brick chimneystack and catslide to rear. Two storeys: three windows. Windows are now C20 casements but beam above first floor window internally shows they were diamond mullioned casements originally. Front door to left but originally in centre forming lobby entrance. Plinth. Rear elevation has exposed timbers of thin scantling. Attached to left is one storey brick butcher's shop with rendered and colourwashed front and tiled roof sloping over front and supported on 4 wooden piers. This verandah is C20 but replacing an earlier one. Two original fixed light butcher?s windows, the left window altered from a door.
INTERIOR: Hall has rough hewn chestnut beams. One four-panelled and one six-panelled door. Lounge has ceiling beams covered over but open fireplace (opened out in 1995) with large wooden bressumer with salt hole and brick fireback, the lower courses of C16 brickwork. Dining Room has exposed beams. Kitchen has exposed wall-frame of rough hewn timbers. Stairwell also has rough hewn timbers. First floor retains original beam above window with sockets for diamond mullions and shutter groove. Three plank doors. Roof has purlins and rafters.
HISTORY: Bridge House is believed to have once formed part of the Stonewall Farm estate. In the 1841 Census Thomas Duddy was listed as butcher. By the 1851 Census his wife Elizabeth had succeeded him. Thomas's father, also tTomas, was a butcher and buried in St Mary's churchyard Hunton in 1830.
Listing NGR: TQ7293748780
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings