This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7088 / 54°42'31"N
Longitude: -1.2713 / 1°16'16"W
OS Eastings: 447048
OS Northings: 535107
OS Grid: NZ470351
Mapcode National: GBR MFKZ.KT
Mapcode Global: WHD66.FXV1
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 16 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1249898
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432125
Location: Hart, Hartlepool, TS27
Civil Parish: Hart
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Hart
Church of England Diocese: Durham
HART BUTTS LANE
NZ 43 NE
(off east side)
1/34 Church of St. Mary
Church, having Anglo Saxon nave, C12 north arcade, chancel arch and tower; C13
south aisle, C15 north aisle and piers and responds of north arcade and
chancel arch; south arcade and porch of c.1600; chancel of 1806. Restored in
late C19, 1927/34 and 1977/80; roofs renewed c.1930. Squared random limestone
rubble, coursed to chancel, south aisle and tower; squared quoins. Late C20
stainless steel nave roof; Lakeland slate to chancel and porch roofs. Nave
with aisles, south porch, chancel and west tower. Tower of 3 stages with
chamfered step-backs has c.1800 straight parapet stepped out at eaves and ogee
angle finials. Louvred rectangular belfry openings to west and south faces;
other tower openings are lancets. C13 and C15 windows in east and west walls
of nave; other windows altered 1806 and in late C19. Round-headed south
doorway of 2 moulded orders. Coved cornice below straight aisle parapets;
angle and diagonal buttresses. Gabled porch has segmental-arched doorway with
double hollow chamfer. Carving of St. George and Dragon of c.1500 to south
face of chancel. Off-centre semi-circular tower arch has roll mouldings,
impost bands and nook shafts. 2-bay north arcade has semi-circular
triple-chamfered arches; 4-bay, slightly pointed double-chamfered south arcade.
Both arcades have octagonal piers and responds with moulded caps and bases.
North face of north arcade has remains of Anglo-Saxon window in spandrel,and
mask rafter corbels. Semi-circular chancel arch of 3 chamfered orders on
½-octagonal responds. Remains of Anglo-Saxon arch in wall above, and
contemporary opening higher above. Window in north aisle has stained glass of
c.1898 by K. Ayll & Co., (Leeds). Square C12 font with angle shafts and plain
sides. Octagonal C14 font has figures and emblems of saints, the Crucifixion
and Resurrection, in panels around the bowl, and figures of saints in ogee
niches in the stem; putti heads at angles of plinth. Pre-Reformation altar
mensa. Monument of c.1783 on south wall of chancel, possibly of Coade stone,
painted: aedicule with reeded pilasters, broken pediment and flaming urns as
acroteria. Saxon sundial, fragments of grave slabs and other carved stones in
north-west corner of nave, below pulpit, and built into west wall. C13 piscina
in south aisle. 6 carved masks built into porch walls. V.C.H., Durham, Vol.
3, 1928, pp. 259-62.
Listing NGR: NZ4704735107
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings