History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Millicent Fawcett Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Westminster, London, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4963 / 51°29'46"N

Longitude: -0.1288 / 0°7'43"W

OS Eastings: 529987

OS Northings: 179140

OS Grid: TQ299791

Mapcode National: GBR HK.7S

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.QN7B

Plus Code: 9C3XFVWC+GF

Entry Name: Millicent Fawcett Hall

Listing Date: 21 May 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1249936

English Heritage Legacy ID: 432156

Location: Westminster, London, SW1P

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: St James's

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Stephen Rochester Row

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

1900-/100-101/10003 No 29 (including
no 46 Tufton Street)
Millicent Fawcett
Conference hall with library & restaurant, 1927-9 by Douglas Wood for
the London & National Society for Women's Service. Multi-coloured
brick with stone faced entrances. Single storey with basement.
Irregular L-shaped plan. Main entrance on yard behind carriage
entrance of no. 31 Marsham Street; subsidiary entrance to rear known
as no. 46 Tufton Street. Main entrance has a distyle Ionic portico
with dentil entablature & blocking course. Doorway of double-panelled,
wooden doors with overlight having small panes; flanking, narrow,
vertically-set windows with panelled glazing. To the left, a
foundation stone inscribed "This foundation stone was laid by
Millicent Garrett Fawcett CBE LLD, 24th April 1929". Hall has
horizontally-set clerestory windows with margin glazing. Tufton Street
entrance has a stone-faced doorway with panelled overdoor supported
by consoles & a carved Women's Service emblem; part-glazed double
Interior:- 4-bay hall, bays marked with pilasters rising from a wooden
dado to barrel vaulted roof, apsidal-ended to east & west end with a
stage having a wooden proscenium arch of curved acanthus leaf design.
North side with tall metal-framed windows lit from a light well.
Tufton Street access into rear of the hall along a narrow, vaulted,
top-lit corridor. Top-lit library retains original fireplace & some
shelving with pillars flanking the fireplace. Basement restaurant with
columns having ram's mask capitals & quarry tiled floor; catering
History:- Millicent Fawcett Hall was specifically planned, built &
paid for by the women who led the constitutional campaign for equal
political rights. It was the site of intensive educational activities
& campaigning for economic and moral equality for women by the London
and National Society for Women's Service, now known as the Fawcett
Society. The library housed what is now the largest & oldest library
in Britain devoted entirely to the study of women.

Listing NGR: TQ2998779140

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.