History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mara's Scene Painting Shop

A Grade II Listed Building in Lambeth, Lambeth

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4932 / 51°29'35"N

Longitude: -0.1171 / 0°7'1"W

OS Eastings: 530811

OS Northings: 178822

OS Grid: TQ308788

Mapcode National: GBR KL.VW

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.XQGN

Plus Code: 9C3XFVVM+75

Entry Name: Mara's Scene Painting Shop

Listing Date: 25 January 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1249942

English Heritage Legacy ID: 432160

Location: Prince's, Lambeth, London, SE11

County: Lambeth

Electoral Ward/Division: Prince's

Built-Up Area: Lambeth

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: North Lambeth

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Description

The following building shall be added:-

TQ 3078 NEWPORT STREET

4/1090 Nos 1-7 (odd)
II Mara's Scene Painting Shop

Carpentry workshop and scenery shop. Built in 1913 to the designs of
John A J Woodward of Kennington Oval, the LCC's District Surveyor for the area, by
George Brittain Contractor to the Duchy of Cornwall Estate. Nos. 1 & 3 was a
carpentry workshop for theatrical 'props' and scenery, first occupied by
John Brinskill whilst Nos. 5 & 7 housed the painted scenery shop, originally with
8 frames run in pairs and first run by William Raphael. It is the facility to
design an entire theatrical set that makes this group of workshops unique. Painted
brick with slate roof. 2 to 3 storeys with irregular fenestration. Left hand part
(No 1) is of 2 storeys with 1 cambered sash to 2nd floor and 5 cambered fixed
casements to ground floor and double doors. No 3 is of 3 storeys with hipped roof.
2 lower storeys have 4 cambered fixed casements leading door to 1st floor and wide
door to ground floor. No 7 is of 3 storeys with 2 cambered fixed casements and
loading door to 1st floor and 2 cambered casements and wide door to ground floor.
No 7 is of 3 storeys with gable and kneelers. 2nd floor has circular windows.
1st floor has 2 narrow windows and 2 narrow unloading doors and ground floor has
3 cambered casements and wide door. Internally Nos 1 & 3 have iron columns and
floor joists with cross braces. No 5 has 4 vertical frames surviving, the full
height and width of the building on which the canvas could be stretched and inched
up and down for the convenience of the artist working at 1st floor level. These
have a drop of 24 feet and various widths between 41 ft 10 ins and 49 ft 6 ins
because of the angled shape of the building. No 7 lost 4 frames through bomb
damage though the gaps in the 1st floor and the system of hand.pulleys survive in
part. Roof of scientific kingpost form. Only 4 early theatrical painting workshops
are known to exist and although the other 3 are 10 years earlier this is the only
one with the facility to design and build an extra set.
[Lambeth Drainage Plans, No 5522.
Robert Thorne. Historian Files Camden 204 and Southwark 94]


Listing NGR: TQ3081178822

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.