History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9745 / 52°58'28"N

Longitude: -1.016 / 1°0'57"W

OS Eastings: 466171

OS Northings: 342359

OS Grid: SK661423

Mapcode National: GBR 9JW.FY7

Mapcode Global: WHFHZ.CHFJ

Plus Code: 9C4WXXFM+RH

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 1 December 1965

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1250021

English Heritage Legacy ID: 431194

Location: Shelford, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG12

County: Nottinghamshire

Civil Parish: Shelford

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Shelford

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Shelford

Listing Text

SK 64 SE SHELFORD CHURCH STREET
(north side)

1/118 Church of St.Peter
and St.Paul
1.12.65
G.V. II*

Parish church. C14, C15, restored 1876-8 by Ewan Christian and
1954-5. Ashlar. Lead roofs to all but the chancel which is of
plain tiles. Single C20 ashlar and brick stack to north chancel.
Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the east chancel and
east nave. Nave has C19 parapet. All but chancel buttressed.
Tower, nave, aisles, south porch and chancel. Angle buttressed
embattled C15 tower set on a moulded plinth and of 3 stages.
Embattlements with some blind tracery. West side with moulded
arched doorway and double C19 door. Above is a single restored
arched 3 light window with panel tracery, hood mould and label
stops. There are 3 rectangular stair lights. Projecting from
the south side is a tall narrow ashlar lean-to. There is a
single stair light. The east side has a single stair light. The
4 C15 arched bell chamber openings each have 3 cinquefoil cusped
lights with hood mould and label stops. Under the south and east
openings are single clock faces. The north aisle is set on a
moulded plinth there is a continuous sill band forming a hood
mould over the doorway. The north wall has a moulded arched
doorway, to the left is a single arched C14 3 light window with
flowing tracery and hood mould with label stops, further left is
a single arched C14 3 light window with reticulated tracery and
hood mould with label stops. The east wall has a single arched
C14 3 light window with flowing tracery and hood mould. There
are 4 C19 segmental pointed arched windows in the clerestory,
each with 2 arched and cusped lights, hood mould and label stops.
The C19 chancel is set on a high plinth with a continuous sill
band over. North wall has a single flight of steps leading down
to a doorway with single opening to the right and single small
quatrefoil over. Above are 4 lancets with hood moulds and label
stops. The east wall has a single arched C19 3 light window with
reticulated tracery and hood mould. The south wall has 4 lancets
with hood moulds and label stops. Under is a chamfered arched
doorway. The south aisle is set on a low chamfered plinth and
has a continuous sill band broken by the porch. The east wall
has a single C19 arched 3 light window with flowing tracery, hood
mould and label stops. Under is an ashlar plaque inscribed
"1677", The south wall has 2 arched 3 light windows, that on the
right with restored C14 reticulated tracery and hood mould and
that on the left with C19 flowing tracery, hood mould and label
stops. The gabled porch has a moulded arched entrance supported
on 2 colonnettes with moulded capitals and shaft rings, hood
mould and label stops, C19 wooden gate. The side walls each have
a single pair of arched and cusped lights. Inner chamfered
arched doorway. To the left is a single similar C19 window with
flowingtracery. The clerestory corresponds to thenorth.
Interior. C14 double chamfered nave arcades supported on
octagonal piers and responds with moulded capitals. Tall moulded
tower arch. Double chamfered chancel arch supported on octagonal
responds and capitals. Flanking the arch are single corbels
supporting shields of arms. Extending under the east window is a
continuous sill band of chevron and under the north and south
chancel windows a continuous sill band. Mid Cl7 octagonal ashlar
font on a pedestal decorated with stylised lozenge, fleur de lys
and foliate shapes. Cl? wooden chest and C17 metal chest. C17
alms box. Remaining furniture C19. Monuments in the south
chapel with parclose screen include on the east wall, to
Elizabeth Ellism 1761, a decorative bracket supporting a carved
bust by Nollekens. Under the east window is a large wall tablet
supported on 3 brackets to Sir Michael Stanhope, 1587. On the
south wall is a C19 monument, colonnettes with shaft rings and
decorative capitals flank the inscription and support an
entablature decorated with fleuron and supporting 2 angels.
Under the south east window are 2 decorative alabaster shields of
arms. The monument to Katherine Stanhope, 1636, has a foliate
surround to the inscription flanked by single vase pilasters with
decorative capitals supporting the segmental pediment containing
shield of arms. The apron has a decorative swag. The monument
to Lady Georgiana West, 1824, by Chantrey has a kneeling figure
over the inscription tablet. There are floor slabs to Arthur
Charles Stanhope, 1770 and John Stanhope, 1800. A further floor
slab to Charles Stanhope, 1712, has a shield over the
inscription, and another C15 has an incised carved, defaced
figure. The front of the tomb decorated with 8 kneeling figures
and the sides with 3 swaddling figures and a coat of arms. On
the east window sill is a fragment reputed to be an all loom
weight. There is a section of a C10 cross shaft decorated with
the madonna and child, winged angel holding a book and knotwork.
The west wall of the south aisle has a wall tablet to Revd.
Gabrial Wayne, 1771. The nave roof is supported on corbels, that
on the north west representing an angel. The east window is by
Kempe, 1897.


Listing NGR: SK6617142359

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.