History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kings Toll Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Brenchley, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1391 / 51°8'20"N

Longitude: 0.3531 / 0°21'11"E

OS Eastings: 564715

OS Northings: 140386

OS Grid: TQ647403

Mapcode National: GBR NR7.D41

Mapcode Global: VHJMX.2MJN

Entry Name: Kings Toll Farmhouse

Listing Date: 20 October 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1250188

English Heritage Legacy ID: 432452

Location: Brenchley, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN12

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Civil Parish: Brenchley

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Matfield St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Matfield

Listing Text

TQ 64 SW BRENCHLEY MAIDSTONE ROAD

5/141 Kings Toll Farmhouse
20.10.54
II

Former farmhouse. Circa late C17/early C18, extended or rebuilt in the late
C18/early C19. Framed construction, the ground floor underbuilt in brick (now
painted), the first floor tile-hung; peg-tile roof; brick stacks.

Plan: The house faces approximately east. The present arrangement is 3 rooms
wide, the 2 right hand (south) rooms heated from back-to-back fireplaces in an
axial stack with a room at the left (north) end heated from an end stack. A
redundant hip in the roof indicates that the original plan was 2 bays and the
right (north) end is secondary. It contains a service stair, cellar and
separate entrance and was presumably added as a service block. There is a
disused lobby entrance against the axial stack, this may date from the
addition. The present entrance is into the centre room which contains a late
C18/early C19 stair. There have been some late C20 internal alterations
including altering the partition between the 2 left end rooms.

Exterior: 2 storeys. Roof half-hipped at ends. Aysmmetrical 4-window east
front with 2 doors towards the centre. The left hand door is C20 witha
gabled porch hood. The right hand door is C19 and panelled with a gabled
porch hood. Both doors have rectangular overlights. Circa late C18/early C19
sash windows throughout; tripartite to ground floor left, 12 panes in the
centre. 4 panes in the outer lights. 12-pane sash to first floor left the
other windows are also 12-pane sashes but have margin glazing. The rear
elevation has a rear left hipped-roof projection, probably an original stair
projection to the attic, and C20 windows of various different designs.

Interior: The centre room fireplace has a truncated chamfered lintel. Late
C18/C19 stair with a turned newel and stick balusters.

Roof: The roof over the left hand (south) end is circa late C17/early C18
with staggered butt purlins. The redundant hip is positioned approximately
above the centre of the entrance hall. Beyond the axial stack the roof
timbers are very renewed.

The present owner has extensive material on the manor and previous owners of
the house.


Listing NGR: TQ6471540386

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.