This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1428 / 51°8'34"N
Longitude: 0.3452 / 0°20'42"E
OS Eastings: 564146
OS Northings: 140785
OS Grid: TQ641407
Mapcode National: GBR NR6.B2P
Mapcode Global: VHHQF.XJVS
Entry Name: Slowery Farmhouse
Listing Date: 24 August 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1254396
English Heritage Legacy ID: 437895
Location: Pembury, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN2
Civil Parish: Pembury
Built-Up Area: Pembury
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Pembury St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 64 SW PEMBURY KINGS TOLL ROAD
5/378 Slowery Farmhouse
Former farmhouse. Early/mid C17 with extensive C19 and C20 extensions,
notably in 1924 by R. Brown. Older part was timber-framed on coursed
sandstone footings but ground floor level underbuilt with Flemish bond red
brick (leaving most of the footings). Framing above hung with peg-tile.
Extensions built in same style. Brick stacks (the original one on a sandstone
base) and brick chimneyshafts. Peg-tile roof.
Plan: 4-room lobby entrance plan house facing south east. Small left (south
west) end room has now been united with the adjoining room. An axial stack
between this and the next room serves back-to-back fireplaces. A parlour at
the right end is also served by an axial stack. Services in a rear block
right of centre. The present layout is largely the result of the 1924
refurbishment. Previously the house was somewhat smaller. It occupied the
left hand 3-room section of the main block with lobby entrance plan. Service
room and kitchen to left of the stack and parlour to right. In the roof it
looks possible that the house ended at the left end of the kitchen but the end
jetty beyond makes this interpretation unlikely.
2 storeys with attics in the roofspace.
Exterior: Regular but not symmetrical 3-window front of 1924 windows. Ground
floor windows have brick mullions and the first floor windows are timber
mullion-and-transom gabled half dormers. The wide transom in the older
section is the wall plate of the old frame. Front lobby entrance doorway left
of centre contains a plank door with coverstrips under a flat hood. Main roof
is half-hipped both ends.
Interior: The former kitchen cross beam is chamfered with runout stops. The
kitchen fireplace has been relined with brick but its cambered and chamfered
oak lintel is probably the original. The parlour is too small for a beam and
has a series of plain axial joists. Good fireplace here; sandstone ashlar
with chamfered Tudor arch to the oak lintel. 2 similar but smaller fireplaces
on the first floor. The parlour bay appears to have been somewhat wider than
the rest, projecting to rear, probably to accommodate a stair. Roof of tie-
beam trusses with clasped side purlins. The left end bay is probably a C19
replacement. Unusual arrangement in original front right corner as the formed
jowl of the wall post is shaped to take the wallplate at a lower level than
the gable-end tie.
Source Mary Standen. Pembury in the Past (1984), p.17. A series of 4
photographs show the front and back of Slowery Farmhouse before and after the
building works of 1924.
Listing NGR: TQ6414640785
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings