History in Structure

White Cross Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Richmond upon Thames, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.459 / 51°27'32"N

Longitude: -0.3083 / 0°18'30"W

OS Eastings: 517623

OS Northings: 174689

OS Grid: TQ176746

Mapcode National: GBR 75.YRF

Mapcode Global: VHGR2.LLVF

Plus Code: 9C3XFM5R+HM

Entry Name: White Cross Hotel

Listing Date: 25 May 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1250279

English Heritage Legacy ID: 432568

Also known as: White Cross, Richmond
The White Cross
The White Cross, Richmond

ID on this website: 101250279

Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, TW9

County: London

District: Richmond upon Thames

Electoral Ward/Division: South Richmond

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Richmond

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Tagged with: Pub

Find accommodation in



White Cross Hotel
TQ 1774 NE 20A/58


Public house, early-mid C19, with extension of late-C19 to the north-west.

EXTERIOR: The early section of the brick building, dating from the 1820s or 1830s, has two main river frontages to the south-east and to the south-west, each of three storeys and three bays. The former has canted single storey bay windows on either side of central porch; the latter has one single storey bay window to right of the doorway with a stucco surround. The raised ground floor is stuccoed and there is a broad moulded string course, painted white, in between the second and third storeys. To the north-west is a stuccoed late C19 extension of two storeys and two bays, with an iron canopied balcony to the upper storey, and to the north-east is a lean-to single storey extension of the same date. There are two entrances to the building in the middle bay of each elevation and these signify the building as having origins as a public house, rather than a domestic building: that to the south-west is a grand Doric portico reached by a flight of stone steps which retain their C19 railings; that to the south-east is flanked by a pair of pilasters and also reached by steps running alongside the building. The hipped roof is partially concealed by the raised parapet which is painted white on the south-east elevation and bears C20 lettering.

INTERIOR: The pub retains a coherent C19 interior with many original features including a stone surround to an unusually-placed fireplace underneath a window, a mantelshelf, the central bar including over-bar with sliding sashes (a rare feature) and back bar, cornices, a deep-moulded picture rail, architraves and an early C19 staircase with simple moulded newel posts and stick balusters. The original division of the space is readable in the ceiling beams which indicate the smaller rooms the ground floor once comprised, which would have offered public saloons, private rooms for customers and space for off-sales of alcohol. The rooms on the first floor retain some early C19 panelling, doors, architraves, cornices and a single fireplace with original grate and wooden surround in a fluted design with classical paterae.

HISTORY: The White Cross Hotel, like the terrace alongside it, dates from the 1820s or 1830s. The two entrances, its corner position and its location on a travelling route near the bridge, suggest it was built as a public house; it is marked 'PH' on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey map for Middlesex in 1881. Between 1881 and 1896 the building was extended to the north-west although its footprint, and much of the interior, has changed little since.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: This public house dating from the 1820s or 1830s survives well: the principal elevations are largely unchanged, although some of the windows have been replaced, and include some good features including a Doric portico reached by stone steps. The pub is an important component of this historic stretch of riverside and has group value with the listed terrace alongside it (Grade II) and Richmond Bridge of 1777 (Grade I). The interior is also strong and there is a good degree of survival relating to the building's use as a public house from the early-mid C19, including relatively rare sliding sashes; the interior survival overall is of note as many pubs were rebuilt or converted in the great boom of pub building in the later C19 or have been refurbished in the century thereafter.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.