This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5805 / 54°34'49"N
Longitude: -0.9678 / 0°58'3"W
OS Eastings: 466815
OS Northings: 521079
OS Grid: NZ668210
Mapcode National: GBR PHPG.8S
Mapcode Global: WHF88.34FB
Entry Name: White House
Listing Date: 8 September 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250414
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432758
Location: Skelton and Brotton, Redcar and Cleveland, TS12
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Skelton and Brotton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Skelton with Upleatham All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
NZ 62 SE SKELTON & BROTTON SALTBURN LANE
(off west side),
1/39 White House
House, c.1690, altered early C19; c.1894 wing, link and porch adjoining left
and extensions adjoining right and rear. Roughcast with stone dressings.
Lakeland slate roofs.' "L"-plan link with porch adjoins left end, joining
original house to higher late C19 wing. Principal front (south): 2 storeys,
4 bays. Entered from porch in link. Sash windows with glazing bars and
sills, early C19 on first floor, late C19 on ground floor with wedge
lintels. Late C19 single-storey canted 2nd bay with sashes, glazing bars
and moulded cornice. Square cast iron down pipes. Triple square timber
brackets at eaves. Ridge and gable copings and rebuilt end and ridge
stacks. Porch has 6-panelled door, overlight and sidelights, under gable.
single-storey, 2-bay extension at right end. Garden front of left-hand
wing: 2 storeys, asymmetrical. Gabled end projections have 2-storey canted
bays with mid C20 casement windows. Left-hand gable has tall stair sash
window to right of bay window. Between the gables: paired sashes to right
on ground floor and 2 first-floor sashes with sills and wedge lintels.
Ornamental stone finials to gables; moulded stone eaves cornice with similar
brackets. Rear elevation shows 2-storey extensions and 2 round-headed stair
windows with intersecting glazing bars. Internal features and woodwork in
original house. In early C19 occupied by John Andrew, notorious smuggler.
Listing NGR: NZ6681521079
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings