This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.6887 / 54°41'19"N
Longitude: -1.2035 / 1°12'12"W
OS Eastings: 451444
OS Northings: 532919
OS Grid: NZ514329
Mapcode National: GBR NG17.70
Mapcode Global: WHD6F.HD4X
Entry Name: Old Dock Offices and Rear Wings
Listing Date: 4 February 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250670
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433121
Location: Hartlepool, TS24
Electoral Ward/Division: Headland and Harbour
Built-Up Area: Hartlepool
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Hartlepool St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Durham
HARTLEPOOL VICTORIA TERRACE
11/131 Old Dock Offices and
4.2.77 rear wings.
Wrongly shown on O.S. plan as Victoria Chambers. Coal Dock Office, 1846, by
James Simpson (London). Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate roofs. "U" plan;
Neo-classical style. 2 storeys, 3 bays, centre projecting slightly , with
Roman Doric distyle porch. Doorway has 2-panelled double doors and
overlight. First-floor window has floating cornice on consoles. 2-storey
segmental-plan bay windows to left and right, have pilasters and
entablatures. All windows are sashed with glazing bars and margin lights.
Band between floors; narrow frieze below eaves cornice and shallow parapet.
Shallow-pitched hipped roofs and 6 yellow brick stacks. Central clock tower
of 2 stages: square pedestal, with clock faces recessed within circular
openings; topped with open, segmental-arcaded, octagonal bellcote having
moulded cornice; dome missing. Slightly later 2-storey, 6-bay, setback,
rear wings, in similar manner. Later extensions adjoining rear wings, are
not of interest. Disused at time of survey.
Listing NGR: NZ5144432919
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings