This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7211 / 53°43'16"N
Longitude: -1.5894 / 1°35'21"W
OS Eastings: 427189
OS Northings: 425046
OS Grid: SE271250
Mapcode National: GBR KTBD.PT
Mapcode Global: WHC9R.KQBP
Plus Code: 9C5WPCC6+F6
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 7 August 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250737
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433199
Location: Morley, Leeds, WF12
Civil Parish: Morley
Built-Up Area: Dewsbury
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Woodkirk St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE22NE WF12 DEWSBURY ROAD
SE272250 MORLEY (east side),
2/79 Church of
Church. Late C12 tower embattled c1911, nave rebuilt c1832 retaining inner
medieval walls, chancel rebuilt and extended c1834 by Joseph Furness, a local
mason. Large dressed stone to tower, hammr.dressed stone to body of church
with stone slate roof. Gothic Revival style. West tower, nave, chancel,
3-stage embattled tower has battered plinth, roll-moulded strings. West face
has lancet window to 1st stage, clock to 2nd stage and 2 light plate tracery
belfry windows recessed inside elliptical arches and having colonnettes with
cushion-headed capitals. Battlements have corner pinnacles. Weathervane.
Earlier steeply-pitched roofline visible on east-face. Nave has 3 bays of
2-light windows with trefoil heads and curvilinear tracery. Between 1st two
bays gabled porch c1911. North facade of nave has 3 semicircular relieving
arches, possibly from earlier church to aisle arcade now gone, blocked with
2-light traceried windows as front. Chancel set back from nave but roofed
continuously has 5 bays. lst-bay has 3-light window with intersecting Y-tracery.
Other windows of 2 lights as nave. Priests' door in 5th bay with small
Y-traceried window above. On North facade of chancel, set between 1st and 2nd
bay, priests' door with pointed-arch and oak studded door. 5-light east window
with intersecting Y-tracery. small added north vestry gabled and at right angles
with chimney and coped gable.
Interior: single vessel, the nave separated from chancel by semicircular arch.
Oldest feature the tower arch: 2-centred with inner arch with chamfered octagonal
piers with moulded capitals. Moulded plaster cornice, flat ceiling with rose
c1830s. Chancel retains fine Jacobean pulpit of good work, octagonal with
interlaced guillouche decoration and arcaded panels. Fine reused C15 bench ends
to choir-stalls with carved rectilinear tracery and good carved poppy-heads.
Vestry has walls panelled with remains of finely carved C17 box-pews. Window
above Priests' door made up of fragments of medieval stained glass. Other C19
stained glass memorial windows. Some memorials from earlier church, the best to
Christopher Hodgson c1726. Royal Coat of Arms (on canvas) to George I.
Mentioned in Domesday Book c1086 and was granted by William, 2nd Earl Warenne,
between 1121 and 1127 to the newly-forwed Priory of Augustinian Canons at Nostell.
The Canons set up a small cell serving Woodkirk Church until the Dissolution in
1539 when it later fell into the hands of the Saviles.
Excavations have revealed a courtyard over 50ft square with adjacent buildings.
There was also a garden, an orchard and a stone dovecote with fishponds below
the church which served as reservoirs for the watermills. St. Michael's, East
Ardsley (q.v.) was a chapel dependent on Woodkirk.
Joan Thomas, St. Mary's Woodkirk (undated church leaflet).
Listing NGR: SE2718925046
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings