This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7182 / 53°43'5"N
Longitude: -1.5696 / 1°34'10"W
OS Eastings: 428501
OS Northings: 424727
OS Grid: SE285247
Mapcode National: GBR KTGF.ZW
Mapcode Global: WHC9R.VSRY
Plus Code: 9C5WPC9J+75
Entry Name: Boyle Hall (Flats 1-5)
Listing Date: 17 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263117
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433195
Location: Leeds, WF3
Electoral Ward/Division: Ardsley and Robin Hood
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Batley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Woodkirk St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/06/2017
SE 22 SE, SE 285247, 4/75,
HAIGH MOOR ROAD (east side),
Flats 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
House, now five flats. Dated 1799 with addition dated 1888. Hammer-dressed
stone, ashlar quoins, stone slate roof. Three storeys. 3-bay symmetrical
facade. Doorway with shouldered architrave, entablature and dentil cornice.
All windows have raised plain stone surrounds getting progressively smaller
on each floor. Set between lst- and 2nd-floor window of central bay is oval
" John & Hannah
Built this House in
Moulded gutter brackets. Hipped roof with lateral stacks. Rear (extension):
tall 3-bay entrance facade with taller central bay which breaks forward with
doorway in carved surround with entablature and cornice and stair window above
with cornice. Circular attic window with keystone. Coped gable with stack to
apex. Right-hand return of 3 bays originally. First 2 bays have windows in
flush surrounds with projecting sills. 1st bay windows blocked. 3rd bay partly
rebuilt c1888 has tall stair window with impost blocks and keystone and doorway
set under with tie-stone jambs. 1888 addition attached to rear of 1799 house
breaks forward and has 2 bays under separate hipped roofs. 1st bay of addition
has large tripartite sash window with consoles and cornice decorated with roundel.
Triple window over has arched lights with keystones. 2nd bay has window with
architrave and carved cornice to each floor. Gutter brackets. Stack set between
bays. Left-hand return: 3 bays of extension have sash windows with architrave;
a single-light and 2-light window to each floor; 3rd bay has 2 windows with
architraves and, set between, a large corbel supporting oriel window with canted
single lights to 1st-floor over which is gable which rises higher than eaves and
has plaque bearing date 1888 surmounted by spiked finial.
Interior: original entrance hall has panelled plaster ceiling with standard
modillioned cornice. Other richly plastered ceilings late C19.
Listing NGR: SE2850124727
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings