This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6936 / 50°41'36"N
Longitude: -3.4396 / 3°26'22"W
OS Eastings: 298418
OS Northings: 89204
OS Grid: SX984892
Mapcode National: GBR P3.NSS0
Mapcode Global: FRA 37P7.MV5
Plus Code: 9C2RMHV6+C5
Entry Name: Pytte House
Listing Date: 23 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250771
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86200
Location: Clyst St. George, East Devon, Devon, EX3
Civil Parish: Clyst St. George
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Clyst St George
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
CLYST ST GEORGE
SX 98 NE
Nos 1-6 (inclusive)
House, divided into 6 tenements. 1911 remodelling and extension by S Gambier
Parry for Anthony Gibbs, of a late C18 or early C19 house with earlier origins.
Rendered brick, the earlier parts are rendered probably stone or cob. Plain
tile roof with gabled ends and deep sprocketted eaves. Tall ahslar arial and
end stacks with moulded cornices.
Vernacular revival style remodelling.
Plan: A circa late C19 illustration shows a C18 or early C19 2-storey, 4-bay
house with a verandah and with a service wing set back to the left (west). In
1911 the house was considerably remodelled and extended by the addition of a
long range across the south front with an entrance and stairhall at the right
hand end and an arial corridor along the back of the range leading to a large
room in a wing set back from the left hand end, said to be the library. The
rear right hand wing and the other parts at the back much altered in 1911 are
all that remain of the old house, except for the late C19 service wing behind
the left hand end. In the mid to late C20 the house was divided into 6 tenements.
It is doubtful whether fabric of the late C16 house survives.
Exterior: 2-storeys and attic. Long asymmetrical 1911 front range of approx-
imately 6 windows wide with a short projecting wing at the left hand end with
a 2-storey canted bay with large mullion-transom windows and a gable above with
a small 4-light attic window. Another smaller gabled projection to the right
of centre with 2 gabled dormers to the right and another to the left. All the
gables are decorated with small rectangular or diamond shaped panels containing
terracotta circles. The variously proportioned windows all have their original
oak mullion and transomed frames and leaded panes, some of the ground floor
windows are garden doors. There is a wing set back at the left hand end, its
left hand (west) side has a gable to the right and a large 2-storey canted
bay window to the left.
The right hand entrance side incorporates an earlier, possibly late C18 or early
C19 wing with 2 large 12-pane sashes; the porch at the centre has a timber-frame
gable and a round arch, the inner door has wrought iron hinges, one inscribed
"A G 1900".
The very irregular rear (north) elevation has a long late C19 service wing to
the right (west) and much altered late C18 or early C19 parts at the centre
and to the left with some circa early C19 12-pane sashes.
Interior: was probably much altered when converted into 6 tenements although
at the right hand (east) end the early C20 open-well staircase has been retained
with its turned ballisters and in the room in front there is a Tudor style stone
Pytte was the seat of the Gibb family. In 1560 John Gibb bought it from Thomas,
Lord Wentworth. It remained with the Gibbs family until the C20 when Anthony
Gibbs greatly enlarged and remodelled the house in 1911; the architect Sidney
Gambier Parry was articled for Sir Arthur Blomfield.
Source: Unpublished family history in the possession of E M Gibbs.
Listing NGR: SX9841889204
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings