This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.691 / 50°41'27"N
Longitude: -3.4397 / 3°26'22"W
OS Eastings: 298405
OS Northings: 88914
OS Grid: SX984889
Mapcode National: GBR P3.P0M4
Mapcode Global: FRA 37P7.V3K
Plus Code: 9C2RMHR6+94
Entry Name: Parish Church of St George
Listing Date: 19 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164124
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86144
Location: Clyst St. George, East Devon, Devon, EX3
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Clyst St. George
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Clyst St George
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
CLYST ST GEORGE CLYST ST GEORGE
SX 98 NE
2/7 Parish Church of St George
Parish church. Early to mid-C15 west tower; the body of the church almost entirely
rebuilt by Rev. H T Ellacombe in 1854-5, and this in turn was reduced to ruins by an
incendiary bomb in 1940; the post-war rebuilding (which was not a copy of
Ellacombe's work) was completed in 1952. Coursed rubble Heavitree stone. Slate
roof. West tower, nave, north aisle, south porch, chancel, south-east vestry.
West tower: 2 stages, with renewed battlementing. South-east polygonal stair
turret rises well above battlements. Set-back buttresses to north and south sides
only, 3 set-offs. 2-light pointed belfry openings to all sides; single-light
square-headed ringing chamber window to south; renewed 3-light west window; west
doorway with C15 composite moulded surrounds and bases. The tower has the slim
profile characteristic of many churches in the Exeter area.
2 and 3-light square-headed windows to north and south sides; south porch with
wavy, cusped bargeboarding; vestry under catslide roof.
Interior: Tower arch with panelled responds and soffit. 2 mural monuments of note
survived the bombing : (1) brass to Julian Osborne (d.1614), epitaph with kneeling
woman at prayer desk, and shield above; (2) monument erected by George Gibbs in 1708
and completely C17 in feel, inscription panel with putti flanked by Corinthian
columns that support scrolled pediment with heraldic device.
Listing NGR: SX9840588914
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings