History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ministry of Defence Building L145 (Group F Incorporating Mills)

A Grade II Listed Building in Waltham Cross, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6939 / 51°41'38"N

Longitude: -0.0096 / 0°0'34"W

OS Eastings: 537667

OS Northings: 201338

OS Grid: TL376013

Mapcode National: GBR KCZ.QF1

Mapcode Global: VHGQ2.SP99

Plus Code: 9C3XMXVR+H5

Entry Name: Ministry of Defence Building L145 (Group F Incorporating Mills)

Listing Date: 26 November 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1251164

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433797

Location: Waltham Abbey, Epping Forest, Essex, EN9

County: Essex

Civil Parish: Waltham Abbey

Built-Up Area: Waltham Abbey

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Waltham Abbey

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Waltham Cross

Listing Text

ROYAL GUNPOWDER FACTORY
TL3700
3/10018 MOD Building L145
(Group F Incorporating Mills)
GV II

Gunpowder Incorporating Mills. 1878, converted for cordite incorporation c1898-9. English bond yellow brick with hipped slate roofs to Engine House and Boiler House; cross wings have brick walls separating the bays which continue as coped gables breaking through the felt and slate roof; mid C20 replacement walling to originally wood and canvas side walls. T-plan: central Engine House with Boiler House at east end and 3-bay cross wings on its north and south sides for gunpowder incorporating mills. One storey, with taller Engine House to centre.
Chamfered brick plinth and brick dentil cornice to Engine House and Boiler House. Engine House has paired segmental-arched windows set in recessed panels to upper part of east and west elevations. Boiler house of 4 x 1 bays has inserted mid C20 windows to each bay; gauged red brick semi-circular arch over east door. Interior similar to other incorporating mills, although more altered and lacking the original gearing machinery beneath the cross wing floors. The most altered of an important group of incorporating mills, the plan being closely modelled on the earlier (1861) Group C Incorporating Mills, Building L157 (qv). (RCHME report,
1993).


Listing NGR: TL3766701338

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.